Smells Like (Inter) National City Lines all over again....

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      What the hell was this doing in the NoVa Sprawl newsleeter? Sounds like
      a call for more cars, more roads, worldwide....

> [...]
      > technology advances, is needed to fulfil transport's vital role in
      > the development of modern society, states Mobility 2030: Meeting the
      > Challenges to Sustainability, a report released by the World Business
      > Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) today.
      > The report was developed by 12 global automotive and energy
      > companies who have worked together over the past four years, under
      > the sponsorship of the WBCSD to assess the sustainability of their
      > products and to envision the future of mobility, with special focus
      > on road transport.
      > The report defines sustainable mobility as "the ability to meet the
      > needs of society to move freely, gain access, communicate, trade and
      > establish relationships without sacrificing other essential human or
      > ecological values today or in the future."
      > According to the report, if current mobility trends were to continue,
      > social, economic and environmental costs worldwide would be
      > unacceptably high. However, those costs can be avoided if society as
      > a whole focuses on the achievement of seven goals set out in the
      > report.
      > Goal one: Ensure emissions of conventional pollutants from transport
      > do not constitute a significant health concern anywhere in the world:
      > Technology could drive conventional emissions down in developing
      > countries. In the developed world, on the other hand, the focus will
      > shift from setting standards towards making sure prescribed emission
      > levels are met. "High emitter" vehicles are likely to attract the
      > focus of attention.
      > Goal two: Limit greenhouse gas emissions from transport to
      > sustainable levels: The SMP members argue that society's long-term
      > goal should be to eliminate transport as a major source of GHG
      > emissions but warn that this cannot be achieved until much later than
      > 2030. In addition, the members believe that the portfolio of
      > technology options they are currently pursuing for vehicle fuels and
      > powertrains will be a significant factor in achieving stabilization
      > of CO2 emissions. Stabilizing CO2 emissions from transport should
      > form part of a larger strategy of policy measures aimed at reducing
      > GHG emissions from all major sources.
      > Goal three: Reduce significantly the number of transport related
      > deaths and serious injuries worldwide: Programs to reduce deaths and
      > serious injuries from road vehicle crashes should focus on at least
      > four factors: driver behaviour, improvements in infrastructure,
      > better technologies for crash avoidance, and injury mitigation.
      > Goal Four: Reduce transport-related noise: Overall, traffic noise is
      > not likely to decrease. However, local authorities can address the
      > increase in traffic noise through a combination of road surfaces and
      > barriers that dampen noise, and by restricting the modification of
      > vehicles by owners and others. Manufacturers are also continuing to
      > improve the noise performance of transport vehicles.

      Especially here:
      > Goal Five: Mitigate traffic congestion: Congestion cannot be
      > eliminated entirely, but its effects can be lessened substantially.
      > Actions aimed at relieving congestion would need to include
      > increasing infrastructure capacity, eliminating infrastructure
      > choke-points and making more efficient use of existing mobility
      > systems and infrastructure. Information Technology Systems should
      > play a key role in enabling this.
      > Goal Six: Narrow mobility opportunity divides that inhibit
      > inhabitants of poorest countries and economically and socially
      > disadvantaged groups within most countries from achieving better
      > lives. This divide inhibits growth and works against the efforts of
      > the very poorest countries and peoples to escape poverty. Sustainable
      > mobility requires that the gap be narrowed
      > Goal Seven: Preserve and enhance mobility opportunities for the
      > general populations in developed and developing countries: Improved
      > mobility opportunities for all societies - developed and developing -
      > is an important pre-requisite for future economic growth as well as
      > forming the basis of a more sustainable global mobility system based
      > on wider access and greater affordability.

      And here:
      > The SMP encourages the development of inexpensive motorized vehicles
      > that are appropriate to the harsh road environments typically found
      > in some developing countries. In urban areas, pricing strategies will
      > be needed to encourage the effective use of existing conventional
      > public transport systems.
      > The report says that mobility can be made sustainable. However, this
      > is beyond the capabilities of any one company, one industry or one
      > country to resolve, and will require cooperation and effort from
      > every level of society. The report identifies no "magic bullet"
      > solution. In addition, it says some mobility challenges will take up
      > to half a century to resolve, but action should be started now.
      > According to GM's Executive Vice President Tom Gottschalk, a project
      > co-chair, dialogues and workshops were designed to tap professional
      > opinion around the world and to develop a clearer understanding and
      > appreciation of the mobility challenges faced by different countries
      > and regions.
      > Mr. Gottschalk also stated that Mobility 2030 is intended to be a
      > catalyst. "The challenges to sustaining mobility are significant,"
      > he said, "but they can be met over time, provided society supports
      > constructive approaches and solutions and encourages real
      > understanding and cooperation among stakeholders." He added, "This
      > report contributes positively toward that goal."

      How about instead providing access through proximity (progressive urban
      design), and providing mobility through socially- and resource-efficient
      mass transit?

      But more cars, more roads, everywhere on earth? That's what this
      document proposes.

      Richard Risemberg

      "The basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very
      first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to
      decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or
      newspapers without government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer
      the latter."

      Thomas Jefferson