Smells Like (Inter) National City Lines all over again....

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      What the hell was this doing in the NoVa Sprawl newsleeter? Sounds like
      a call for more cars, more roads, worldwide....

> [...]
      > technology advances, is needed to fulfil transport's vital role in
      > the development of modern society, states Mobility 2030: Meeting the
      > Challenges to Sustainability, a report released by the World Business
      > Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) today.
      >
      > The report was developed by 12 global automotive and energy
      > companies who have worked together over the past four years, under
      > the sponsorship of the WBCSD to assess the sustainability of their
      > products and to envision the future of mobility, with special focus
      > on road transport.
      >
      > The report defines sustainable mobility as "the ability to meet the
      > needs of society to move freely, gain access, communicate, trade and
      > establish relationships without sacrificing other essential human or
      > ecological values today or in the future."
      >
      > According to the report, if current mobility trends were to continue,
      > social, economic and environmental costs worldwide would be
      > unacceptably high. However, those costs can be avoided if society as
      > a whole focuses on the achievement of seven goals set out in the
      > report.
      >
      > Goal one: Ensure emissions of conventional pollutants from transport
      > do not constitute a significant health concern anywhere in the world:
      > Technology could drive conventional emissions down in developing
      > countries. In the developed world, on the other hand, the focus will
      > shift from setting standards towards making sure prescribed emission
      > levels are met. "High emitter" vehicles are likely to attract the
      > focus of attention.
      >
      > Goal two: Limit greenhouse gas emissions from transport to
      > sustainable levels: The SMP members argue that society's long-term
      > goal should be to eliminate transport as a major source of GHG
      > emissions but warn that this cannot be achieved until much later than
      > 2030. In addition, the members believe that the portfolio of
      > technology options they are currently pursuing for vehicle fuels and
      > powertrains will be a significant factor in achieving stabilization
      > of CO2 emissions. Stabilizing CO2 emissions from transport should
      > form part of a larger strategy of policy measures aimed at reducing
      > GHG emissions from all major sources.
      >
      > Goal three: Reduce significantly the number of transport related
      > deaths and serious injuries worldwide: Programs to reduce deaths and
      > serious injuries from road vehicle crashes should focus on at least
      > four factors: driver behaviour, improvements in infrastructure,
      > better technologies for crash avoidance, and injury mitigation.
      >
      > Goal Four: Reduce transport-related noise: Overall, traffic noise is
      > not likely to decrease. However, local authorities can address the
      > increase in traffic noise through a combination of road surfaces and
      > barriers that dampen noise, and by restricting the modification of
      > vehicles by owners and others. Manufacturers are also continuing to
      > improve the noise performance of transport vehicles.

      Especially here:
      > Goal Five: Mitigate traffic congestion: Congestion cannot be
      > eliminated entirely, but its effects can be lessened substantially.
      > Actions aimed at relieving congestion would need to include
      > increasing infrastructure capacity, eliminating infrastructure
      > choke-points and making more efficient use of existing mobility
      > systems and infrastructure. Information Technology Systems should
      > play a key role in enabling this.
      >
      > Goal Six: Narrow mobility opportunity divides that inhibit
      > inhabitants of poorest countries and economically and socially
      > disadvantaged groups within most countries from achieving better
      > lives. This divide inhibits growth and works against the efforts of
      > the very poorest countries and peoples to escape poverty. Sustainable
      > mobility requires that the gap be narrowed
      >
      > Goal Seven: Preserve and enhance mobility opportunities for the
      > general populations in developed and developing countries: Improved
      > mobility opportunities for all societies - developed and developing -
      > is an important pre-requisite for future economic growth as well as
      > forming the basis of a more sustainable global mobility system based
      > on wider access and greater affordability.

      And here:
      > The SMP encourages the development of inexpensive motorized vehicles
      > that are appropriate to the harsh road environments typically found
      > in some developing countries. In urban areas, pricing strategies will
      > be needed to encourage the effective use of existing conventional
      > public transport systems.
      >
      > The report says that mobility can be made sustainable. However, this
      > is beyond the capabilities of any one company, one industry or one
      > country to resolve, and will require cooperation and effort from
      > every level of society. The report identifies no "magic bullet"
      > solution. In addition, it says some mobility challenges will take up
      > to half a century to resolve, but action should be started now.
      >
      > According to GM's Executive Vice President Tom Gottschalk, a project
      > co-chair, dialogues and workshops were designed to tap professional
      > opinion around the world and to develop a clearer understanding and
      > appreciation of the mobility challenges faced by different countries
      > and regions.
      >
      > Mr. Gottschalk also stated that Mobility 2030 is intended to be a
      > catalyst. "The challenges to sustaining mobility are significant,"
      > he said, "but they can be met over time, provided society supports
      > constructive approaches and solutions and encourages real
      > understanding and cooperation among stakeholders." He added, "This
      > report contributes positively toward that goal."

      http://www.wbcsd.org/plugins/DocSearch/details.asp?type=DocDet&DocId=6094

      How about instead providing access through proximity (progressive urban
      design), and providing mobility through socially- and resource-efficient
      mass transit?

      But more cars, more roads, everywhere on earth? That's what this
      document proposes.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "The basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very
      first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to
      decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or
      newspapers without government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer
      the latter."

      Thomas Jefferson