Re: [carfree_cities] The World's Concrete Coverage

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
      On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, kenavidor wrote:

      > Something we're learning about here is how that the engineering firms that
      > build highways also do the engineering for flood control.

      Ah-hah. Somehow, this has escaped me for "all these years." *Of
      course* these folks are getting paid for "solving" problems they help
      to create. Capitalism at its finest.

      > This is one more reason why there needs to be a paving moratorium.

      Yes, and there are many others. OTOH, for those situations which
      reasonably require paving, let's keep in mind an important alternative
      -- permeable surfacing materials:

      <http://www.lid-stormwater.net/intro/sitemap.htm#permpavers>

      Also, the options are multiplied when the pavement in question is
      designed for comparatively lightweight, low-speed traffic, as in
      carfree cities and districts.

      -Doug

      ---
      Doug Salzmann