The World's Concrete Coverage

  • kenavidor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
      Something we're learning about here is how that the engineering firms that
      build highways also do the engineering for flood control.

      Since the pavement they lay increases rainwater runoff, they are in effect,
      making money by creating problems and then fixing them. Both projects often
      require the destruction of homes.

      This is one more reason why there needs to be a paving moratorium.

      Ken Avidor
      Minneapolis
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
        On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, kenavidor wrote:

        > Something we're learning about here is how that the engineering firms that
        > build highways also do the engineering for flood control.

        Ah-hah. Somehow, this has escaped me for "all these years." *Of
        course* these folks are getting paid for "solving" problems they help
        to create. Capitalism at its finest.

        > This is one more reason why there needs to be a paving moratorium.

        Yes, and there are many others. OTOH, for those situations which
        reasonably require paving, let's keep in mind an important alternative
        -- permeable surfacing materials:

        <http://www.lid-stormwater.net/intro/sitemap.htm#permpavers>

        Also, the options are multiplied when the pavement in question is
        designed for comparatively lightweight, low-speed traffic, as in
        carfree cities and districts.

        -Doug

        ---
        Doug Salzmann