Re: [carfree_cities] PRT anti-transit Disinformation

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
      kenavidor wrote:
      > The biggest myth the PRT proponents spread around is that people don't like
      > to ride with "strangers".
      >
      > This is total crap.

      Absolutely. When I get on teh buses and trains here, I see people
      reading or listening to Walkmans, sure, but I also see lots of people
      chatting happily with each other, and often end up in conversations with
      strangers myself. When I look out the window of the bus at the people
      in cars, I see a bunch of grim-faced automatons doing unpaid taxi
      service for themselves in the name of status. Fuck it.

      We are social animals. We are healthier when we live in a community.
      Our communities are healthier when they allow people to meet with, even
      semi-anonymously, with others both similar to and different from
      themselves. This makes life richer and safer, and all of us happier.

      Waht is it with Americans? Why must they consistently behave like
      sullen thirteen year olds who hide in their rooms but still expect mom
      and dad to drop off the tray of dinner at their door and do their
      laundry? No wonder we have the highest murder and drug use rates in the
      world here. We isolate ourselves like monkeys volunteering for a
      contact deprivation experiment, and desperately cling to the baling-wire
      mommy of the TV set.

      Then we go to Paris on vacation and wonder why we feel so good walking
      the busy sidewalks and sitting in a crowded cafe on a busy square.

      Transit ROCKS. I make friends, watch dramas and comedies unfold, hear
      the poetry of life--and get to work. I could save fifty bucks a month
      by riding my bicycle instead, but when I do it I really miss the
      sensation of being part of life.

      Socrates said, "Fields and trees teach me nothing. The people in a city
      do." Well, sitting in a mobile cubicle all alone, be it a car or a PRT
      vehicle, teaches you far less. Fuck it.

      Richard

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
      will not even be human."

      RR
    • Steve Geller
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
        At 06:39 AM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
        >The biggest myth the PRT proponents spread around is that people don't like
        >to ride with "strangers".
        >
        >This is total crap.

        No, it's not. It's the way people are.
        A while back, I wrote an article about the sociology of bus riding:

        http://home.comcast.net/~stgeller/Bus_Sociology.htm
      • Matt Dobbing
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
          Enjoying this thread but have just spent a day with 1250 11-16 year olds. Do
          we have to have foul language here too?

          sorry to moan folks!! but the English langage is a beautiful thing and there
          are other ways to express disgust/emphasise points.

          Matt
          (tired UK teacher! it's been a looooong day!)

        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
            On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, kenavidor wrote:

            > The whole urban experience is about masses of people, crowds, audiences,
            > throngs and mobs. If you don't like being among lots of people, you are not a
            > city person. If crowded, busy sidewalks, cafes, markets, stadiums, train
            > stations, libraries and streetcars bother you ....MOVE TO THE SUBURBS!

            Yep. Cities *are* direct personal interaction.

            > Please, no more PRT talk...I'm sick of it.

            And, I think the PRT concept is fundamentally incompatible with both
            the spirit and functional reality of carfree cities.

            -Doug

            ---
            Doug Salzmann
            Kalliergo
            Post Office Box 307
            Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

            <doug@...>
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                There is a lot of fear of the "other" out there.
                On the bus someone dissed me when I greeted him with a hearty "top of the
                morning to you my good sir" so I had to kill him (:))

                Simon

                On 13/7/04 4:49 pm, "Steve Geller" <stgeller@...> wrote:

                > At 06:39 AM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
                >> The biggest myth the PRT proponents spread around is that people don't like
                >> to ride with "strangers".
                >>
                >> This is total crap.
              • Doug Salzmann
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                  On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Simon Baddeley wrote:

                  > There is a lot of fear of the "other" out there.
                  > On the bus someone dissed me when I greeted him with a hearty "top of the
                  > morning to you my good sir" so I had to kill him (:))

                  That's one stranger who won't bother anyone again.

                  It's a good thing the Uzi fits comfortably under your coat.

                  -Doug

                  ---
                  Doug Salzmann
                  Kalliergo
                  Post Office Box 307
                  Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

                  <doug@...>
                • Korn, Dan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                    I have a PRT device. It's called a bicycle. One of my favorite things to do with it is to go on group rides where I can enjoy being close to other people.

                    Dan
                    Chicago
                    www.dankorn.com
                  • Jym Dyer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                      > I have a PRT device. It's called a bicycle.

                      =v= Interesting. I, on the other hand, have an SUV
                      device that's called a bicycle. :^)

                      > One of my favorite things to do with it is to go on group
                      > rides where I can enjoy being close to other people.

                      =v= Oh, it's one of them there "sociables."
                      <_Jym_>
                      --
                      Ads below? Just ignore 'em.
                    • Simon Baddeley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                        Dear Richard

                        I suppose the grain of dust that irritates an oyster could be described as
                        a "stranger."

                        Simon

                        On 13/7/04 6:11 pm, "Richard Risemberg" <rickrise@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      • Matt Hohmeister
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 16, 2004
                          Yes, I have noticed this too. I can rattle off a list of the behaviors of typical Americans:

                          - Demand the freedom to use a car at city taxpayers' expense, yet unwilling to live in the
                          city limits to avoid city taxes.

                          - Says cars are all about freedom, but they also want to force their lifestyle upon others--
                          think about all the municipal codes forcing property owners to provide free parking.

                          And you're right about going to Europe. I have heard countless Americans spend a week or
                          three over there, comment on how much they love the lifestyle there and using the metro,
                          and the second they get home, become homebound again unless their car is available.

                          You have an excellent point about "unpaid taxi service". Your typical suburban American
                          who claims to enjoy driving probably does not enjoy the drive to and from work. Even
                          someone who wants a "nice car" and spends $40,000 or more on it will not enjoy their
                          drive home from work.

                          > Absolutely. When I get on teh buses and trains here, I see people
                          > reading or listening to Walkmans, sure, but I also see lots of people
                          > chatting happily with each other, and often end up in conversations with
                          > strangers myself. When I look out the window of the bus at the people
                          > in cars, I see a bunch of grim-faced automatons doing unpaid taxi
                          > service for themselves in the name of status. Fuck it.
                          >
                          > We are social animals. We are healthier when we live in a community.
                          > Our communities are healthier when they allow people to meet with, even
                          > semi-anonymously, with others both similar to and different from
                          > themselves. This makes life richer and safer, and all of us happier.
                          >
                          > Waht is it with Americans? Why must they consistently behave like
                          > sullen thirteen year olds who hide in their rooms but still expect mom
                          > and dad to drop off the tray of dinner at their door and do their
                          > laundry? No wonder we have the highest murder and drug use rates in the
                          > world here. We isolate ourselves like monkeys volunteering for a
                          > contact deprivation experiment, and desperately cling to the baling-wire
                          > mommy of the TV set.
                          >
                          > Then we go to Paris on vacation and wonder why we feel so good walking
                          > the busy sidewalks and sitting in a crowded cafe on a busy square.
                          >
                          > Transit ROCKS. I make friends, watch dramas and comedies unfold, hear
                          > the poetry of life--and get to work. I could save fifty bucks a month
                          > by riding my bicycle instead, but when I do it I really miss the
                          > sensation of being part of life.
                          >
                          > Socrates said, "Fields and trees teach me nothing. The people in a city
                          > do." Well, sitting in a mobile cubicle all alone, be it a car or a PRT
                          > vehicle, teaches you far less. Fuck it.
                          >
                          > Richard
                          >
                          > --
                          > Richard Risemberg
                          > http://www.living-room.org
                          > http://www.newcolonist.com
                          >
                          > "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                          > will not even be human."
                          >
                          > RR
                        • Matt Hohmeister
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 16, 2004
                            I just took another look at this and it made me think of direct comparisons....

                            Sullen thirteen year olds :: Suburban residents

                            Bedrooms :: Suburbs outside the city limits

                            Mom and dad :: City taxpayers who finance six-lane roads to let these spoiled children
                            drive home

                            Dinner and laundry :: City utility services financed by taxpayers paying the same piece rate
                            for services--electric, water, gas, sewer, and refuse--that are much more expensive to
                            provide in suburbs because of long utility runs, more garbage truck use, etc

                            "Mommy of the TV set" :: Since suburban children are forced to stay at home unless
                            Mommy can drive them somewhere (which she frequently can't because she's working full-
                            time and being the family's chef and cleaner), the kids are stuck at home in front of the
                            TV.

                            If I was married and had children, I would try all I could to have one parent--I don't care if
                            it's me of my wife--stay home through early childhood. Living in a less expensive house in
                            a closer suburb [or city] and having fewer cars--or making less use of them--would save a
                            good deal of money, allowing one parent to stay home. Failing that, our lifestyle would
                            still allow us to save more money for vacations, children's college education, the imminent
                            $3000 re-roofing or air conditioner biting the dust, and retirement.

                            Anyway, what's about status? I lived with my parents and sister to the age of 19 in roughly
                            2000 square feet and never felt short on space. I hate to sound old-fashioned, but I feel
                            that the same square footage seems more spacious when you have a 300 square foot
                            living room instead of the 600 you find in newer houses--allowing you a separate
                            playroom for the kids. Also, master bedroom bathrooms are getting huge (100 sf or
                            more), further taking space away from the house. This is why I want a house built between
                            the 1950s and 80s--better usable room. And sorry, I know this isn't a home design
                            discussion board, but I feel that's another downfall of suburbs: the demand for bigger
                            houses that "seem" the same size as smaller houses of years past.

                            > Waht is it with Americans? Why must they consistently behave like
                            > sullen thirteen year olds who hide in their rooms but still expect mom
                            > and dad to drop off the tray of dinner at their door and do their
                            > laundry? No wonder we have the highest murder and drug use rates in the
                            > world here. We isolate ourselves like monkeys volunteering for a
                            > contact deprivation experiment, and desperately cling to the baling-wire
                            > mommy of the TV set.
                          • Karen Sandness
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 17, 2004
                              It's hard to convince people of the advantages of transit if they've
                              never experienced a good system. Heavens, living in Minneapolis, trying
                              to use non-automotive means of transportation as much as possible, I'm
                              often stymied in attempts to get around without a car, and after ten
                              years of car-free living in Portland, I'd become pretty ingenious.
                              Judging from my 2001 trip to Los Angeles (where Richard gave me some
                              excellent hints about getting around), that quintessential car city has
                              better public transit than the Twin Cities do. Express buses running
                              every 15 minutes on a Sunday are just unimaginable here, where the MTC
                              pats itself on the back for running 3 buses per hour on weekdays one of
                              the most useful routes.

                              As I travel around the area with newly sensitized eyes, I can see that
                              what hindered the development of sustainable transit in this area was
                              the rapidity and efficiency of the freeway building program. Because
                              the area acquired so many freeways so quickly, there are now a number
                              of "island" neighborhoods that are or could be terrific walkable
                              neighborhoods, but they are utterly inaccessible without a car. In
                              addition, some idiotic urban planners let the big box stores knock down
                              existing commercial structures and set up suburban-style shopping
                              centers and fast-food outlets in the city--but only in the poorer
                              neighborhoods, where developers could get away with throwing up
                              structures that are ticky-tacky even by the generous standards of that
                              sort of building.

                              Judging from the bicycle and pedestrian traffic jams that I encounter
                              on the lakeside paths in good weather, Twin Cities people are not
                              averse to cycling or walking, although they are understandably averse
                              to riding the neglected bus system. It's just that wherever they go,
                              they inevitably run into barriers.

                              Meanwhile, we've got a city council member, a Green no less, pushing
                              PRT as the salvation of us all. Ken Avidor is valiantly fighting that
                              bit of idiocy.

                              The one bright spot is that the new light rail line seems to be
                              attracting riders, despite its limited area of service, and that city
                              officials are making favorable noises about connecting the downtowns of
                              Minneapolis and St. Paul with light rail, which is a great idea, since
                              the route would run through the University of Minnesota's main campus
                              and non-affluent and immigrant neighborhoods, thereby negating the
                              talking point that rail critics used in Portland about rail systems
                              being toys for suburban commuters at the expense of inner city
                              residents.

                              In transit,
                              Karen Sandness
                            • Steve Geller
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 17, 2004
                                PRT should not be rejected out-of-hand. It could be a good idea
                                on a college campus or for serving an office park / light industrial area.

                                But generally, public transit works best in bulk. It thrives amid dense
                                development, and is most efficient when it moves many people; large vehicles
                                like buses are the way to do that.

                                I'm more convinced than ever that the success of public transit anywhere
                                is limited by two things: density (of riders/destinations) and the
                                availability of parking. Vast acreages of parking can only encourage
                                use of private cars. If any locality wants to cut congestion, the decision
                                must be made to cut back parking while providing public transportation.

                                I think a PRT could be a "feeder" to buses and lite rail, in areas
                                where there's a lot of coming and going, but not in big crowds.

                                As I travel around the area with newly sensitized eyes, I can see that
                                >what hindered the development of sustainable transit in this area was
                                >the rapidity and efficiency of the freeway building program. Because
                                >the area acquired so many freeways so quickly, there are now a number
                                >of "island" neighborhoods that are or could be terrific walkable
                                >neighborhoods, but they are utterly inaccessible without a car.

                                This is deliberate car-first public policy. The "islands" should be
                                connected by PRT, buses, rail or whatever is most appropriate.
                                And parking space within an island should be limited to
                                delivery vehicles.

                                One of my favorite "Roadkill Bill" cartoons shows RKB amazed at
                                a main street with no cars, and people getting about by foot,
                                trains and trolleys. He's at Disney World, where pre-car America
                                is exhibited as a nostalgic historical curiosity.
                              • Patrick McDonough
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 23, 2004
                                  Take a read-
                                  -----------------------

                                  *Paying the Pumper*

                                  By J. Robinson West

                                  Friday, July 23, 2004; Page A29

                                  With the return of the highest oil prices since the energy crisis of the
                                  early 1980s, there are growing cries of alarm that the world is running
                                  out of oil. Some speculate that Saudi Arabia has reached maturity as a
                                  producing state and that its production will decline. Others cite the
                                  Hubbert curve, which postulates that once more than 50 percent of
                                  reserves are produced, output inevitably declines.

                                  The world will not run out of oil soon, but there's still good reason
                                  for alarm. What the world is running short of is production capacity.
                                  There's plenty of oil -- we just can't get it out of the ground. It's
                                  important to understand some history to appreciate the problem.

                                  Beginning in the 1960s and continuing through the energy crisis of the
                                  '80s, the oil industry was restructured. The Western international oil
                                  companies, which had controlled reserves and production just about
                                  everywhere except the Soviet Union and Mexico, had many of their largest
                                  assets nationalized by governments in such countries as Saudi Arabia,
                                  Kuwait, Iran, Iraq and Venezuela. These governments organized national
                                  oil companies to manage their resources. National companies are
                                  government agencies accountable to their governments first and the
                                  international markets second.

                                  In response, competition among the international firms became intense as
                                  they focused on exploration in places where they were still permitted to
                                  invest: the United States, Canada, the North Sea and Australia. These
                                  companies diversified global oil production to the extent they could.
                                  With the development of sophisticated technology, they moved into
                                  deep-water production, notably in the Gulf of Mexico and off the coast
                                  of West Africa. Whenever a new petroleum province opened for investment,
                                  they tried to enter -- in Yemen, Colombia, the Caspian Sea and Russia.
                                  The technical and political risks were immense, and some large
                                  investments failed.

                                  The indigenous oil industries in these countries, usually national
                                  companies, resist international foreign investment. They don't want the
                                  competition, nor do they wish to share the economic rent from the oil.
                                  When oil prices were low, and governments needed money, as in the 1990s,
                                  some foreign investment was permitted in certain countries, often over
                                  the objection of the national company. Substantial production growth
                                  resulted. Oil prices are now high, and most of the national oil
                                  companies are capable of meeting the financial requirements of their
                                  governments without foreign investment or interference.

                                  The world economy is confronted with a situation in which there are
                                  large reserves -- more than in 1985 -- but in places where it is hard to
                                  tap them. The international oil industry is the only business in the
                                  world in which global capital cannot invest in the lowest-cost, most
                                  efficient production. National oil companies provide about 60 percent of
                                  the world's production but control 87 percent of the reserves, and their
                                  share will rise. Many commentators point out that a rising share of our
                                  oil will come from fewer countries, such as Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
                                  Should these countries continue to maintain their production, or even
                                  increase it, as we expect, there will remain the fundamental problem of
                                  increasing production capacity sufficiently to meet growing world
                                  demand. For example, sustained Saudi production is likely to grow by no
                                  more than 3 million barrels per day over the next 10 years, but
                                  worldwide demand, driven by the United States and China, is expected to
                                  grow by 15 million barrels per day.

                                  The capabilities of the national oil companies vary widely. Some are as
                                  competent as the international firms, with excellent management and
                                  efficient operations. Others are deeply corrupt and lack the capital and
                                  skills to meet the sophisticated requirements of portfolio and reservoir
                                  management. Furthermore, exploration for new reserves can involve
                                  massive risks, which most governments are unwilling to underwrite,
                                  whereas the internationals, with huge balance sheets and diversified
                                  portfolios, are quite comfortable with these risks.

                                  The thesis of the Hubbert curve is correct, but the conclusion that a
                                  fall in global oil production has inevitably begun is not. The Hubbert
                                  curve analysis applies where full commercial exploitation has taken
                                  place, but in many areas, other factors, including politics and policy,
                                  weigh in. It is true that production in most of the United States,
                                  Canada and the North Sea is in decline -- there, exploration and
                                  production have been exhaustive. But the most oil-rich areas, notably
                                  Mexico, Venezuela, Russia and the Middle East, have not been fully explored.

                                  National oil companies may open up for investment if there are enough
                                  political and economic incentives. Production may also increase if there
                                  are changes in technology. This has happened many times before, most
                                  recently with the development of deep-water technology in the 1980s and
                                  '90s. One approach includes enhanced oil recovery from existing fields,
                                  where more than 60 percent of the oil often remains in place. Another
                                  breakthrough may come in efficient production from extra-heavy oil and
                                  tar sands, which is now very costly and capital-intensive. There are
                                  greater reserves of extra-heavy oil in Venezuela and Canada than in
                                  Saudi Arabia. Likewise, the industry has been seeking commercial
                                  breakthroughs in gas-to-liquids technology, converting natural gas
                                  reserves into ultra-clean diesel fuel.

                                  Supply will increase if costs remain high long enough to justify the
                                  huge investments necessary. But oil markets have been cyclical for more
                                  than 120 years, and too much investment in capacity, as in the 1970s and
                                  '80s, inevitably leads to price crashes, followed by further commercial
                                  and political uncertainty.

                                  Virtually every thoughtful policymaker knows that there is a serious
                                  problem in energy, but they are afraid to act. The U.S. government can
                                  do little to increase oil supply, but steps can be taken to reduce
                                  demand. Getting between Americans and their cars is the third rail of
                                  American politics. But if the American people refuse to accept some
                                  modest discomfort now, they will almost certainly be dealing with higher
                                  prices and serious economic disruption later. The obvious solution is
                                  for politicians to gather their courage and tackle demand.

                                  /The writer, a former assistant secretary of the interior, is chairman
                                  of PFC Energy, strategic advisers on international oil and gas./
                                • Patrick McDonough
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1 12:28 PM
                                    The 22september.org website has a list of European cities that are
                                    taking part in Car Free Day. Other than our event in Orange and Durham
                                    county in North Carolina, are there any other events going on that
                                    people are organizing or aware of?

                                    Patrick