Fogelson's Downtown

  • larryfeltonj
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2004
      I've plugged and cited Fogelson's _Downtown: Its Rise and Fall, 1880-
      1950_ often, since I view it as essential to understanding the
      decline of the cores in U.S. cities (and it may have some lessons for
      those in other nations as well). Fogelson's descriptions of the
      attempts to build subways (most of which failed) and the beginning of
      the limited access highways is one of the more succinct I've seen.

      I've written a somewhat fawning review of the book at

      http://larryfeltonjohnson.typepad.com/

      (Lately Yahoo has clipped my URL's, so this URL is my main page, but
      the article is near the top, and should be easy to find in the
      archives as it scrolls off the main page)

      Larry Felton Johnson