Re: China, WCFD, awareness

  • william stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
      >Subject: China gets the message, loud and clear
      >

      >Hi All,
      >
      >Well, China has finally figured out that its future is in
      >public transport. Not a moment too soon.

      And so while China's economy can easily transition to a post-oil reality
      and continue to grow, Western nations, especially the US, will struggle
      to make the transition and their economies will falter dramatically.

      > From: <eric.britton@...>
      >Subject: World Car Free Days invites you to drop in
      >

      >This is to let you know that we are hard at work on our ten year old
      >sustainability program World Car Free Days at http://worldcarfreeday.com

      And such efforts are the keystone for the successful elements of the
      transition. Please continue to shine your light.

      > From: "Joe" <jbushkey@...>
      >Subject: Is the oil dependence problem on the radar?
      >
      >My question to the group is how aware are people of the oil dependence
      >problem? For myself as little as 18 months ago id say I was 0% aware.
      >Now that I bike commute, belong to this and other forums, have read some
      >books on New Urbanism I read about it everyday. There are some articles
      >in the main stream press, the national geographic mentioned here in
      >another post. I still feel like most of the country really doesn t get
      >it. What does everyone else think?

      I think people like yourself are becoming more aware everyday. Mention
      your ideas to friends from time to time in a casual manner, letting them
      know that your decision to pursue your course of actions is driven by
      your desire to reduce;

      - the effects of price volatility on economic stability
      - natural resource depletion
      - foreign trade deficit
      - air pollution
      - climate disruption
      - terrorist funding

      I've found that a lowkey, educational approach is better than a "Driving
      an SUV is stupid" approach. Most recently, I talked a friend who owned
      a Toyota Tundra 4x4 V8 into trading it in for a Honda Civic Hybrid. Be
      ready to back up your reasoning with facts, such as are found at
      http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?categoryId=111&contentId=2004175
      (print them out and have them handy, or send the PDF URLs). And note to
      your friends that the numbers are exaggerated, as has been shown by Shell;
      http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2004-05-24-shell_x.htm

      Glad to see that you've swallowed the red pill (re: The Matrix) and see
      things the way they really are.

      Will Stewart