World Car Free Days invites you to drop in

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      Friday, June 04, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Joel, Dear Carfree Friends,

      This is to let you know that we are hard at work on our ten year old
      sustainability program World Car Free Days at http://worldcarfreeday.com
      -- and are now ready, we think, to make a useful contribution. Let me
      give you a quick summary of the high points, in the hope that this may
      tempt some of you who already have a penchant for public action measures
      aimed at bringing on line important changes in terms of our cities
      mobility systems, to check it out and possibly put it to use. Let me
      keep this brief:

      1. The site is now in pretty good shape for consultation and use,
      and in particular is dedicated over the next two months to a major
      collective rethinking of the Car Free Day strategy and accomplishments.
      For my part I consider that by and large we are doing quite poorly
      overall, and my hope is that by pointing up the really good projects we
      may provide some clear examples, templates for others to look at,
      understand and adapt and put to work in their cities.

      2. The first step in this process is a Strategic Outreach Survey,
      which has just today got underway and which I hope will prove
      interesting enough that you may wish to have a look and possibly join in
      with your views and recommendations. It will take you five or ten
      minutes to complete, but I don't think you will regret it.

      3. You may find some value in the Car Free Days in the News
      section, which has been carefully cobbled out of Google and is updated
      continuously. It provides a pretty good idea of the pace of what is
      going on under this rubric. (Not nearly enough, being the answer!)

      4. Under Talking Carfree, you will see the mail feeds of a handful
      of related sites and news groups, including of course Carfree Cities.

      Finally, I would be grateful if any of you might be able to let us now
      about newsgroups or lists of people and groups likely to share these
      interests. Experience shows that unless you have a couple of hundred
      current contacts of people who know an care about our topic, not much
      ever gets done. So all help - including forwarding this note to
      friends, colleagues and other related lists for their information will
      be most appreciated.

      Regards,

      Eric Britton

      <http://ecoplan.org/>

      <http://ecoplan.org> Technology. Economy. Society.

      Francis Eric Knight Britton
      Managing Director

      EcoPlan International
      8/10, rue Joseph Bara
      75006 Paris, France, Europe

      <mailto:ecoplan.adsl@...> ecoplan.adsl@...
      <mailto:eric.britton@...> eric.britton@...
      <http://www.ecoplan.org%20+%20www.ericbritton.org> www.ecoplan.org +
      www.ericbritton.org

      tel:
      fax:

      +33 (1) 4326 1323
      +33 (1) 5301 2896

      <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Signature powered by Plaxo

      <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Want a signature like this?

      <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=25770200327&v0=786992&k0=77226146&v1=786
      993&k1=849686836> Add me to your address book...