China gets the message, loud and clear

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hi All,

      Well, China has finally figured out that its future is in
      public transport. Not a moment too soon.

      http://www.wbcsd.org/plugins/DocSearch/details.asp?type=DocDet&DocId=5409

      Regards,

      Public Transport To Be Key Focus For China Over Next 5 Yrs

      Asia Pulse, 20 May 2004 - China will give priorities to the development of the urban public transportation system in the next five years.

      Chinese Vice Minister of Construction Qiu Baoxing made the remarks at the National Urban Public Transportation Conference, that opened in Beijing Wednesday.

      Qiu said foreign experiences have proved that giving priorities to the urban public transport development will not only help ease the urban traffic jams, but also improve the urban living environment and realize sustained development in cities.

      Qiu said, as an important urban infrastructure serving most people, the urban public transportation system includes public buses, electric buses, subways, taxis, ferries and other public transport vehicles.

      The ministry has set an initial five-year goal for developing urban public transport.

      In the next five years, all local governments will build more public transportation infrastructures and special public transport roadways in the urban areas to ensure public vehicles run on designated roadways or have preference over certain roadways.

      At that time, the average speed of the national public transportation system is expected to reach 20 kilometers an hour, and over 90 per cent of public vehicles will run on time.

      Currently in China's capital Beijing, the average speed of urban buses is lower than 10 kilometers an hour due to the heavy traffic jams caused by the surging number of private cars.

      To solve the problem, Beijing is making its future urban transport development program. According to the program, the city will build some parking lots around the urban areas, which will help those private car owners change to take public buses to their work places in downtown areas.

      Beijing will build 16 kilometers of new special roadways for public buses this year, and by 2010, 75 per cent of Beijing's major roadways and some expressways will open special public traffic roadways, with the total length increasing from the current 93 kilometers to over 300 kilometers.

      In the coming five years, all China's super-big cities like Beijing are expected to increase the proportion of their urban public transport to 30 per cent of the total, while the proportion in other cities is expected to exceed 20 per cent.

      Qiu said the Chinese government will also increase investment in urban transport stations construction and other traffic infrastructure making the annual total investment reach about three-to-five per cent of the national urban GDP.

      Qiu said China will also speed up reform of the urban public transport enterprises, inviting domestic and foreign investors to join the franchised operation of urban public traffic.

      Along with the development of urban transport, Qiu called for all local governments to take ways to develop rural public transport systems. By extending the urban public transport service to the rural areas, more rural people will share the same transport service with urban dwellers, Qiu noted.

      -- ### --

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 4, 2004
        In a recent email from John Kerry's campaign there was a short interview
        with Rand Beers. It was mostly about fighting terrorism, but his last
        line was:

        "Finally, we need to become energy independent, so our foreign policy
        isn't distorted by our dependence on Middle East oil."

        Politicians do talk a lot and this wasn t even Kerry speaking, but I
        was encouraged to read it anyway. I didn t post the article because I
        thought it had little relevance to this group and wasn t sure if
        campaign email would be acceptable to post.

        My question to the group is how aware are people of the oil dependence
        problem? For myself as little as 18 months ago id say I was 0% aware.
        Now that I bike commute, belong to this and other forums, have read some
        books on New Urbanism I read about it everyday. There are some articles
        in the main stream press, the national geographic mentioned here in
        another post. I still feel like most of the country really doesn t get
        it. What does everyone else think?

        Have a Great Weekend,

        Joe

        _____

        << ella for Spam Control >> has removed 22361 Spam messages and set
        aside 801 Newsletters for me
        You can use it too - and it's FREE! www.ellaforspam.com
      • Mike Morin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2004
          Joe wrote:

          > I still feel like most of the country really doesn t get
          >it. What does everyone else think?

          I think you're correct. Judging by the choices made by American consumers
          (e.g. the preponderance of SUVs), I would have to conclude that the majority
          of Americans are unaware of the imminent shortages of fuel, the problems of
          global warming and other sorts of pollution, the availability and
          desirability of walkable environments, or they just don't or won't believe
          it.

          It is deeply troubling to me that there is virtually no "economy" new cars
          available. For example, look what has happened to the Toyota Camry. New ones
          are now as big as the Ford Taurus. Similar enlargement can be seen for
          almost all "Japanese" makes and models. The American cars have remained
          large, and the production of SUVs has become the pre-eminent products
          available and sold (for almost all automakers).

          What is more disheartening is that people have been given and made huge life
          choices (i.e. homes in sprawl and the dependence and convenience of large
          automobiles) that are almost impossible to reverse. The government policies
          of the last sixty years (i.e. highway programs, VA and FHA lending to
          bedroom community developments, infrastructure development) and the
          associated projects by developers (i.e. sprawl housing and malls) have left
          little choice with regard to the major life/purchase choices that Americans
          make and have made. New urbanism and smart growth are a relatively recent
          notions and the awareness or at least the acceptance of such seems to be
          confined to a minority of the population. Furthermore, there is a premium
          associated with the relatively few new urbanist developments that many
          people can't and/or won't pay. Even if everyone decided that new urbanism
          was their choice, one that they were willing to pay for, the choice would
          not be available to most of them. That is, the supply and demand situation
          would drive up further the costs of new urbanist living and they would be
          unable to sell their existing property or command a workable price to make
          the move.

          What is needed is a good study documenting the degree of cogniton and the
          acceptance of the principles of new urbanism and smart growth among the
          general population. A good study would give us insight into how to proceed
          with an educational agenda. After which, the more difficult assignment of
          building a smart, new urbanist environment transitioned from the sprawl
          would be our burden.

          Mike Morin

          > In a recent email from John Kerry's campaign there was a short interview
          > with Rand Beers. It was mostly about fighting terrorism, but his last
          > line was:
          >

          > "Finally, we need to become energy independent, so our foreign policy
          > isn't distorted by our dependence on Middle East oil."
          >

          > Politicians do talk a lot and this wasn t even Kerry speaking, but I
          > was encouraged to read it anyway. I didn t post the article because I
          > thought it had little relevance to this group and wasn t sure if
          > campaign email would be acceptable to post.
          >

          > My question to the group is how aware are people of the oil dependence
          > problem? For myself as little as 18 months ago id say I was 0% aware.
          > Now that I bike commute, belong to this and other forums, have read some
          > books on New Urbanism I read about it everyday. There are some articles
          > in the main stream press, the national geographic mentioned here in
          > another post. I still feel like most of the country really doesn t get
          > it. What does everyone else think?
          >

          > Have a Great Weekend,
          >

          > Joe
          >

          > _____
          >
          > << ella for Spam Control >> has removed 22361 Spam messages and set
          > aside 801 Newsletters for me
          > You can use it too - and it's FREE! www.ellaforspam.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Geller
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2004
            Dependence on foreign oil is a problem, but I don't think it has
            much to do with terrorism. The US gets a lot of its foreign oil from
            Venezuela, for example. The terrorists are mostly Muslims, but
            do most Muslims live in oil-producing countries?

            If Saudi Arabia cut off the US oil, they'd be invaded, and they know that.

            Saudi is a major producer. But imagine what would happen to
            the terrorist situation if some non-Muslim region turned up
            a bigger oil deposit, just as the Saudi output began to dwindle.
            Did Eskimos become terrorists when oil was discovered in Alaska?
            Did the Scots become terrorists because of North Sea oil?

            As oil begins to dwindle globally, there will be a struggle for
            the remaining supplies, but I don't see this becoming a Muslim-Infidel
            struggle. That insanity is pure religion; no oil necessary.

            Oil dependence is not prominent on the political radar because most
            people are childishly confident that more oil will turn up -- or we'll go
            to a Hydrogen energy economy or something. Anyhow, they are sure
            car driving will go on forever.
          • Matt Dobbing
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
              Steve, in reply to your comments on this thread about oil and terrorism...

              it seems that you are arguing that Muslims are more likely to be terrorists
              because of their religion! I certainly don't believe that links can be made
              between religion and terrorism in the sense that people of a certain
              religion are more likely to be terrorists. I have grown up in the UK and we
              have lived with terrorism linked to 'the troubles' in Ireland, a conflict
              between two demonimations of Christianity.

              I think it is a great shame that the US is increasingly perceived as a
              Christian country globally rather than a 'free' country. I thought the US
              Constitution seperated church and state (is this true?) The more America is
              perceived as an 'aggressively' Christian country the more it will come into
              conflict with similary 'aggressive' Muslim countries. I fully support any
              country celebrating its religion but perhaps the US needs to be aware of how
              it is 'perceived'. I am not saying this is the reality of what the US is
              about or claiming that the UK is any better. I am also not justifying
              terrorism or violence of any sort (my own bias in this case being that I was
              brought up a Quaker and am a pacifist!) just pointing out what the
              perception of the US increasingly is. Apologies if I have misinterpreted the
              thrust of your argument.

              By the by, as I am being so picky! (sorry!!!) neither the eskimos or the
              scots are independant countries like Saudi Arabia.

              Completely off topic!, do people think that the film 'The day after
              tomorrow' has advanced or hindered the campaign to reduce dependancy on
              fossil fuels?

              Matt Dobbing
              Head of Careers and CPSE
              Northolt High School
              Eastcote Lane
              Northolt
              Middx
              UB5 4HP

            • Steve Geller
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                >Matt says:

                >it seems that you are arguing that Muslims are more likely to be terrorists
                >because of their religion!

                Terrorists these days are just more likely to use Islam to justify their
                activities. Being a Muslim doesn't make one a terrorist.

                > I certainly don't believe that links can be made
                >between religion and terrorism in the sense that people of a certain
                >religion are more likely to be terrorists. I have grown up in the UK and we
                >have lived with terrorism linked to 'the troubles' in Ireland, a conflict
                >between two demonimations of Christianity.

                Interesting typoe -- religion in N. Ireland certainly was "demonimized".
                But that conflict has been quiet recently, as the world concentrates
                on the Islamic demons of jihad.

                >I think it is a great shame that the US is increasingly perceived as a
                >Christian country globally rather than a 'free' country. I thought the US
                >Constitution seperated church and state (is this true?)

                Yes, it's true, but some of the evangelicals keep trying to make
                the US into a Christian theocracy. Our current President draws
                much of his political support from his fellow evangelicals.

                There's no reason for Islam and Christianity to be in conflict,
                unless one believes there's only one "true" religion. People wouldn't
                be much concerned with Muslims if it weren't for oil and Israel.

                In fact, I suggest that if the oil in the Arab countries dried up,
                terrorism would shift its base to some other region and religion.

                The world is very dependent on oil, especially the US.
                As the oil becomes scarce, there will be conflict.
                Ideally, we should shift to powering transportation with
                renewable energy. But right now, the threat is not perceived
                as immediate. Maybe someone should do another film like
                "Day After Tomorrow" but about what happens when the oil runs out.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Most religions end up hijacked by fascist-trooper personalities--ie,
                  those who want an infallible leader (spiritual or corporeal) to define
                  their lives for them, give them a rigid structure that relieves them of
                  the responsibility to make difficult decisions, and give them a little
                  power over somebody else. Anything that threatens this structure makes
                  them frantic and defensive; if there isn't a limiting mechanism in the
                  structure, they go to the extremes of fascist governments (of left or
                  right) and fundamentalist religions everywhere and throughout all time.
                  Hitler, Stalin, Mao, the Crusades, the 800-year Irish conflict, and
                  now Jihad...each learning from the other. The biggest terrorist act in
                  the US prior to 9/11 was the bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma
                  City, perpetrated by politically right-wing Christian zealots.

                  The US is in danger of losing the limiting mechanisms I spoke of
                  above--by which I mean the system of checks and balances propounded in
                  the Constitution--because of the actions of Christian zealots who now
                  run the joint--the result of a faudulent election (the 12,000 Democrats
                  falsely excluded from the Florida vote because, "Oh, we thought they
                  were convicted felons but made a terrible mistake,--we're so sorry...,"
                  would have turned the tide without need for a recall). If the
                  Republicans win again Bush will be our Hindenburg, and I don't mean the
                  blimp.

                  The call to do anything we must to preserve our oil-based consumerist
                  lifestyle is an effort to draw the people into support of a fascist agenda.

                  The jihadist's call to battle the infidel--never mind that this is the
                  religion of "Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate"--likewise serves to
                  garner support for the power of religious fascists.

                  The cruel irony, for US citizens, at least, is that our "leaders" use
                  the call to defend "Freedom" as an excuse to suppress freedoms. But
                  Orwell told you all about it in "1984," anyway.

                  Ultimately, going carfree is a step towards political as well as
                  personal freedom--because it moves us towards a society of atomized
                  (localized) power--both literal and political--which starves the fascist
                  mindset. Alexander's "Pattern Language" is a profoundly revolutionary
                  work, because in it people create their own communities, physically,
                  socially, and ultimately politically--but as long as oil dominates our
                  economy, the power of armies will prevail.

                  If we succeed, it may be by taking a clue from Gandhi and the '60s
                  hippies, and building parallel societies (Gandhi in effect organized a
                  highly-structured ignoring of the British Raj as his mechanism of
                  revolt, but none of his followers ever fired a shot). Societies that
                  participate productively in the world economy without enslaving
                  themselves to it.

                  Let's have at that dream, eh?

                  Richard

                  Matt Dobbing wrote:

                  > Steve, in reply to your comments on this thread about oil and terrorism...
                  >
                  > it seems that you are arguing that Muslims are more likely to be terrorists
                  > because of their religion! I certainly don't believe that links can be made
                  > between religion and terrorism in the sense that people of a certain
                  > religion are more likely to be terrorists. I have grown up in the UK and we
                  > have lived with terrorism linked to 'the troubles' in Ireland, a conflict
                  > between two demonimations of Christianity.
                  >
                  > I think it is a great shame that the US is increasingly perceived as a
                  > Christian country globally rather than a 'free' country. I thought the US
                  > Constitution seperated church and state (is this true?) The more America is
                  > perceived as an 'aggressively' Christian country the more it will come into
                  > conflict with similary 'aggressive' Muslim countries. I fully support any
                  > country celebrating its religion but perhaps the US needs to be aware of how
                  > it is 'perceived'. I am not saying this is the reality of what the US is
                  > about or claiming that the UK is any better. I am also not justifying
                  > terrorism or violence of any sort (my own bias in this case being that I was
                  > brought up a Quaker and am a pacifist!) just pointing out what the
                  > perception of the US increasingly is. Apologies if I have misinterpreted the
                  > thrust of your argument.
                  >
                  > By the by, as I am being so picky! (sorry!!!) neither the eskimos or the
                  > scots are independant countries like Saudi Arabia.

                  http://www.living-room.org
                  http://www.newcolonist.com

                  "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                  will not even be human."

                  RR
                • dubluth
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                    --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Steve Geller <stgeller@c...> wrote:

                    <snip>

                    > But right now, the threat is not perceived
                    > as immediate. Maybe someone should do another film like
                    > "Day After Tomorrow" but about what happens when the oil runs out.

                    I'm not that familiar with the genre (never having carefully watched
                    Mad Max) but isn't that what the distopian sci-fi movies of the 70's
                    were about?
                  • CEB
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                      Except Star Wars which shows that good triumphs over evil if you spend your fuel resources right: Paraphrase: "We cannot defend the station against snub fighters (bicycles)."

                      Todd (I have a dog named Obi)

                      > Od: "dubluth" <dubluth@...>
                      > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
                      > CC:
                      > Datum: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:48:00 -0000
                      > Předmět: [carfree_cities] Re: Is the oil dependence problem on the radar?
                      >
                      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Steve Geller <stgeller@c...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > <snip>
                      > >
                      > > But right now, the threat is not perceived
                      > > as immediate. Maybe someone should do another film like
                      > > "Day After Tomorrow" but about what happens when the oil runs out.
                      >
                      > I'm not that familiar with the genre (never having carefully watched
                      > Mad Max) but isn't that what the distopian sci-fi movies of the 70's
                      > were about?

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      --------------------
                      Fotbalový turnájek u Thierry Henryho v obýváku? Proč ne! Navštiv http://user.centrum.cz/redir.php?url=http://www.nikefootball.com
                    • Korn, Dan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                        CEB [mailto:cyklopraha@...]:
                        >Except Star Wars which shows that good triumphs
                        >over evil if you spend your fuel resources right:
                        >Paraphrase: "We cannot defend the station against
                        >snub fighters (bicycles)."

                        LOL! See:
                        http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/movie_flyers/CarWars.pdf

                        One of a series at:
                        http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/movie_flyers

                        Dan
                        Chicago
                        www.dankorn.com

                      • Simon Baddeley
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 18, 2004
                          Does this really surprise?

                          To some it's like being on the Titanic (v.comfortable, v.secure and
                          assured). Imagine you knew ahead of times that you were inevitably going to
                          hit an iceberg in a week's time and that even if you changed course no-one
                          on board would save themselves as the collision was unavoidable. First of
                          all you would find it difficult to convince many on board of this scenario.
                          Then when you explained even to those who accepted the scenario that
                          whatever people did would only make any difference in a future beyond the
                          life time of all on board.

                          Then what of the story of the monkey traps? Put a desired piece of food in a
                          jar with an entrance wide enough for the beast to get its hand and arm into
                          the jar. Once the monkey has made a fist round the desired object it becomes
                          easy to catch, because capture and possible death is preferable to letting
                          go the object of desire. If people could be martyred for a Messiah and the
                          promise of everlasting life, is it surprising if the denizens of a consumer
                          society are ready to die for their possessions and the way of life it offers
                          on earth and promises for the future?

                          None of these depressing observations on our nature and condition makes me
                          any less resolute. What I don't intend to become is a sandwich board man
                          pacing the decks among the partying passengers declaiming that "We're all
                          going to die!!". That in me that is anxious for some validation thinks of
                          future historians asking what what people like me were doing in the early
                          years of the 20th Century.

                          If we fail then there won't be any history anyway.

                          My maxim is that in this endeavour you are always losing until you win. The
                          proponents of most great causes never live to see them succeed. It is being
                          able to keep going with angry and compassionate reasoning in these
                          circumstances that is a test of character and leadership. I fall short of
                          that but it is my aspiration to avoid that enormous temptation to do nothing
                          because I can do so little.

                          I have a little test. There are nice environmentalist's I meet who I realise
                          after a while have yearning for global Armageddon for the fleeting pleasure
                          of watching all those feckless consumer vandals earn the wages of their
                          sins. Me too! But it's not good enough to think like that.

                          Simon

                          On 4/6/04 11:42 pm, "Mike Morin" <mikemorin@...> wrote:

                          > Joe wrote:
                          >
                          >> I still feel like most of the country really doesn t get
                          >> it. What does everyone else think?
                          >

                          > I think you're correct. Judging by the choices made by American consumers
                          > (e.g. the preponderance of SUVs), I would have to conclude that the majority
                          > of Americans are unaware of the imminent shortages of fuel, the problems of
                          > global warming and other sorts of pollution, the availability and
                          > desirability of walkable environments, or they just don't or won't believe
                          > it.
                        • kenavidor
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 18, 2004
                            Simon Baddeley said:

                            "To some it's like being on the Titanic"

                            It definately seems that way to me. I really doubt there's a way to change
                            course or to reverse the engines. I think a better plan is to make ready the
                            lifeboats and prepare to abandon ship.

                            Ken Avidor
                            Minneapolis
                          • Simon Baddeley
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 18, 2004
                              Wow. The great Ken Avidor. My hero. Sorry for embarrassing you!

                              Trouble with the Titanic metaphor is that although it was risky there was at
                              least a place to bale out to. Barring planetary colonisation there's nowhere
                              else for us - sinners and saints alike - to go.

                              We all hang together or we all hang separately.

                              Simon

                              On 18/6/04 11:36 pm, "kenavidor" <kenavidor@...> wrote:

                              > Simon Baddeley said:
                              >
                              > "To some it's like being on the Titanic"
                              >
                              > It definately seems that way to me. I really doubt there's a way to change
                              > course or to reverse the engines. I think a better plan is to make ready the
                              > lifeboats and prepare to abandon ship.
                              >
                              > Ken Avidor
                              > Minneapolis
                            • Doug Salzmann
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 19, 2004
                                Ken wrote:

                                > > Simon Baddeley said:
                                > >
                                > > "To some it's like being on the Titanic"
                                > >
                                > > It definately seems that way to me. I really doubt there's a way to change
                                > > course or to reverse the engines. I think a better plan is to make ready the
                                > > lifeboats and prepare to abandon ship.

                                To which Simon responded:

                                On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Simon Baddeley wrote:

                                > Trouble with the Titanic metaphor is that although it was risky there was at
                                > least a place to bale out to. Barring planetary colonisation there's nowhere
                                > else for us - sinners and saints alike - to go.
                                >
                                > We all hang together or we all hang separately.

                                I think Ken means that the prospects for altering the course of
                                mainstream culture seem remote, and that those of us who clearly
                                see the looming iceberg can most usefully focus our energies, at this
                                late date, on strategies for survival and rescue.

                                Sadly, I think Ken is correct. It appears very unlikely that
                                global techno-industrial society will even recognize that destruction
                                is around the corner in time to take corrective action, let alone
                                actually implement such action. The only chance, I think, is for the
                                relatively alert and enlightened among us to work to establish and
                                support as many pockets and corners of sustainable culture as
                                possible.

                                As Ken Said earlier, each of these projects is likely to be different
                                from the others, and that's a very good thing -- it's how evolution
                                works.

                                Here an Illichville, there an Arcosanti, over there an implementation
                                of the Reference Design... We need to try it all.

                                As for hanging together, I'm afraid that hanging with the dominant
                                culture means that we will all *choke* together -- in our own wastes.

                                -Doug

                                "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do."

                                -Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1981

                                ---
                                Doug Salzmann
                                Kalliergo
                                Post Office Box 307
                                Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

                                <doug@...>
                              • Simon Baddeley
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 19, 2004
                                  But excuse me - what's this idea that you can somehow survive separately. In
                                  the European dark Ages the Monasteries preserved a literary and spiritual
                                  tradition. During the world wars of the 20th C. some countries managed to
                                  remain neutral. The character of the catastrophe we are discussing allows no
                                  refuges of this kind. It's more like The Flood, only without the Ark. This
                                  isn't about removing yourself from the mainstream of a society you don't
                                  like. There will be no place to go.

                                  I thought everyone know this the moment that first photo of earth from space
                                  - from the Mercury satellite in the late 1960s - entered general
                                  circulation.

                                  Simon

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 19, 2004
                                    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Simon Baddeley wrote:

                                    > But excuse me - what's this idea that you can somehow survive separately.

                                    I would say, rather, a hope that some of civilization can survive
                                    (especially the arts and music that, in my view, distinguish us from
                                    other species, like squirrels, that are otherwise more attractive)
                                    -- a longshot, to be sure.

                                    > The character of the catastrophe we are discussing allows no
                                    > refuges of this kind. It's more like The Flood, only without the Ark. This
                                    > isn't about removing yourself from the mainstream of a society you don't
                                    > like. There will be no place to go.

                                    That may be true. It depends, mostly, on the specific forces
                                    unleashed during the death throes of the mainstream culture. If it
                                    goes out with a whimper, collapsing and crumbling rather than
                                    exploding, there may remain pockets of survival and cultural
                                    persistence.

                                    If, instead, global industrial capitalism exits with a bang, humans
                                    may be reduced to a Mad Max caricature of our former "glory" -- at
                                    best.

                                    Either way, it appears overwhelmingly probable that the dominant
                                    culture *will* fail catastrophically, most likely sooner rather than
                                    later. Having observed the trends, signs and portents with some care
                                    and attention for nearly four decades, I very much doubt that such
                                    failure can now be avoided.

                                    > I thought everyone know this the moment that first photo of earth from space
                                    > - from the Mercury satellite in the late 1960s - entered general
                                    > circulation.

                                    Yes, I think we have all felt that way from that time, Simon. For me,
                                    the changed analysis arises from the growing realization that we have
                                    *already* failed in our efforts to save the whole, that the best we
                                    can now, perhaps, achieve is the preservation of parts, pieces and
                                    fragments -- along with, one hopes, a thimble of wisdom -- much as
                                    happened during the Dark Ages in Europe.

                                    I really don't believe we can do more at this late date, which is why
                                    the subject header, "Illichville or Else," seemed appropriate to a
                                    recent message.

                                    I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

                                    -Doug

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 19, 2004
                                      Doug Salzmann wrote:

                                      > That may be true. It depends, mostly, on the specific forces
                                      > unleashed during the death throes of the mainstream culture. If it
                                      > goes out with a whimper, collapsing and crumbling rather than
                                      > exploding, there may remain pockets of survival and cultural
                                      > persistence.

                                      The initial effects will be economic, and those who have the power will
                                      do whatever they can to gather the remains to themselves, resulting in a
                                      world of even more widespread poverty than today's. I think that's part
                                      of the perhaps unconscious program of what I call the New Feudalists: to
                                      establish a structure that allows for vast hordes of miserable poor to
                                      support a tiny elite.

                                      However, if communications remain as cheap as they are now--and there's
                                      no guarantee that they will, or that structures such as the Internet
                                      won't be entirely privatized in the end to become the trivialzed and
                                      consored domains of the remains of the corporate class--but *if*
                                      communications remain cheap and widespread, it could provide fertile
                                      soil for a revolution.

                                      If such a scenario comes about--and part of our goal is to evade that by
                                      establishing, or at least facilitating the establishment of, a better
                                      way to live--then our work becomes to try to bring about a peaceful
                                      Ghandian revolution, rather than the usual mess. Ghandi won by ignoring
                                      the British Raj, living separately within it, enmeshed with it yet not
                                      dependent. A revolution of giving rather than taking.

                                      Richard

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 19, 2004
                                        >The character of the catastrophe we are discussing allows no
                                        >refuges of this kind. It's more like The Flood, only without the Ark. This
                                        >isn't about removing yourself from the mainstream of a society you don't
                                        >like. There will be no place to go.

                                        We'll have to change our ways. We don't burn wood or peat like we used to.
                                        There's still coal. There might even be some surprise oil formations,
                                        or some new technology to cheaply process marginal oil formations.

                                        If none of this takes place, we're simply going to have to get most
                                        our energy from something besides oil. There's still wind, geothermal,
                                        hydro, tides, waves and of course the sun.

                                        And don't forget nuclear power. Maybe the members of the "nuke club"
                                        will get together and reprocess spent fuel elements for another
                                        trip through the reactors, instead of making the stuff into WMDs.
                                      • Doug Salzmann
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 22, 2004
                                          On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Steve Geller wrote:

                                          > There's still coal. There might even be some surprise oil formations,
                                          > or some new technology to cheaply process marginal oil formations.

                                          Indeed, there's still coal -- The undisputed king of global warming
                                          and filthy air. See the recently-circulated article in which we hear
                                          the Shell honcho proclaim, "I'm really very worried for the planet."

                                          <http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,12374,1240704,00.html>

                                          By comparison with coal, oil is clean energy.

                                          Considering the history of discoveries over the past three decades
                                          (during which exploration technology has improved by orders of
                                          magnitude), it seems quite unlikely that surprise formations, of
                                          sizes likely to make a long-term difference, are out there to be
                                          found.

                                          No doubt, recovery processes will improve, but there will always be
                                          unavoidable *energy* costs associated with overcoming gravity,
                                          friction, etc. Unless those costs are relatively low in comparison
                                          with the energy value of the recovered fuel source, that marginal oil
                                          is an energy *sink.* Not to mention the environmental damage
                                          associated with production of oil from unconventional formations.

                                          > If none of this takes place, we're simply going to have to get most
                                          > our energy from something besides oil. There's still wind, geothermal,
                                          > hydro, tides, waves and of course the sun.

                                          Yep. Those, with other renewables, will have to suffice. Just don't
                                          imagine that 6-10 billion people are going to use these sources to
                                          "enjoy" "standards of living" similar to those currently prevailing in
                                          North America and Western Europe.

                                          > And don't forget nuclear power. Maybe the members of the "nuke club"
                                          > will get together and reprocess spent fuel elements for another
                                          > trip through the reactors, instead of making the stuff into WMDs.

                                          A fair amount of reprocessing could, of course, take place. It would
                                          have to, because, contrary to all of the 1950's nonsense about power
                                          too cheap to meter, *fissionable* uranium is actually rather scarce on
                                          this planet.

                                          We could certainly produce much more nuclear-generated
                                          power than we do now, but there is only one way (unless you want
                                          to wait for the Fusion Fairy) that it is even conceivable to
                                          use it to replace cheap oil: Build a bunch of fast-breeder reactors.

                                          Just imagine a world of greedy warmongers and clashing cultures
                                          blessed with an unlimited supply of cheap plutonium. Pu-239 is *such*
                                          useful stuff and, with a half-life of 24,100 years, so very durable.

                                          Of course, even that nightmare scenario depends upon relatively early
                                          adoption of a plan for all-out nuclear construction, and widespread
                                          commitment to its implementation. It takes a lot of time, money and
                                          (ever-scarcer and more expensive) *energy* to build nuke plants. The
                                          last round of such building took place in a world of much cheaper and
                                          more plentiful oil.

                                          I'm afraid that those who expect technology or Fortune to save us from
                                          the looming permanent energy crunch have unreasonable and unsupported
                                          expectations. It ain't gonna happen.

                                          If human civilization is to survive (I think it's a big "if"), it will
                                          have to be in communities that use much less energy and many fewer
                                          resources, while discharging a tiny fraction of the poisonous waste,
                                          we Westerners do now. Consumer culture and endlessly-growing
                                          material wealth will be history, or we will be.

                                          So, imagine a carfree, post-industrial, sustainable city or town --
                                          and go build it. Soon.

                                          -Doug

                                          --

                                          "Is it not a strange blindness on our part
                                          to teach publicly the techniques of warfare

                                          -Donatien-Alphonse-Francois de Sade, 1740-1814

                                          ---
                                          Doug Salzmann
                                          Kalliergo
                                          Post Office Box 307
                                          Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

                                          <doug@...>
                                        • kplcards
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 23, 2004
                                            The sooner we run out of oil the better .

                                            If we are ever going retake our living space for life and not automobiles
                                            we need to do more then just talk - what good does talk do if doesn't lead
                                            to action ?

                                            The auto industry will just find a different poison to replace oil

                                            Recent UK Guardian ? article

                                            "NO INSULT TO BALTIMORE
                                            Baltimore wants to turn itself into a 'clean' energy company, so might want
                                            to take a look at algae. Scientits at the University of New Hampshire in
                                            the US have discovered that you can make biodiesel, which can run in normal
                                            diesel engines, from algae. The fast-growing oil-rich algae can be
                                            cultivated in shallow salt water pools in currently barren deserts and fed
                                            on human and animal waste, the processing produces useful methanol as a
                                            by-product and the waste material is nitrogen-rich fertiliser. To supply
                                            the entire US would take up only 9% of one American desert, the Sonora, and
                                            the total cost of productIon is half of the amount spent by the US on crude
                                            oil alone, never mind oil refinement. Should Baftimore be looking to
                                            cultivate pond life after all "

                                            Kelly Plastics , 24 Benburb Street , Dublin 7 . Ireland .
                                            Tel: 00 353 1 6799234 - Fax: 00 353 1 6799236 - Email kplcards@...