Re: [carfree_cities] "Brower legacy a green [sic] parking garage?"

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
      =v= I've read a bit more about this issue and I have a bit more
      to say. The story I provided a link to was posted by Jan
      Lundburg, its author, on this web page, with additional material
      and commentary:

      http://www.culturechange.org/BrowerCenter.html

      The Brower Center is a wonderful idea, except for the parking
      garage. The Union of Concerned Scientists have tallied up
      sources of environmental damage for years, and cars consistently
      take the top spot. It is well past time for the environmental
      movement to start being way more proactive about this issue
      than it is. A parking garage and building it out so that the
      sidewalk is at the minimum width possible by law are not at
      all compatible with creating "the greenest building in the
      Bay Area."

      =v= The Brower Center website does tout the site's proximity to
      transit and pedestrians:

      http://www.earthisland.org/browercenter/

      My feeling is that it should therefore fit in with this sort of
      urban ecosystem by eliminating as many cars as possible, which
      means eliminating parking. (It's well-known amongst urban
      planners: you don't reduce cars until you reduce accommodations
      for cars.)

      =v= Lundberg mentions Strawberry Creek, but not quite enough.
      Creek habitat is Berkeley's native ecosystem, and creek
      restoration figures prominently in the various visions for
      greening Berkeley. See Richard Register's work in particular.
      I find it *horrible* that a planned "greenest building in the
      Bay Area" would *prevent* that, and even more horrible that
      the rationale is cars. Trees Not Cars is the way to go, but
      what we're seeing here is Cars Not Trees (nor marshes, frogs,
      flowers, etc.).

      =v= Otherwise, I applaud the building and project and think
      it's a wonderful thing. As a longtime supporter of the Earth
      Island Institute, of Alice Waters and her contribution to the
      locally-grown food movement, and of various Berkeley and Bay
      Area environmental efforts that will be using this space, I
      think the center is a wonderful idea. One that should not
      be undermined by environmental enemy #1.

      =v= David Brower was not the type to accept half-assed
      environmental compromises. His legacy should not be built
      upon one.
      <_Jym_>
      --
      Ads below? Just ignore 'em.