land use percentage data

  • Carfree City, USA
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      hi all

      sorry about the cross posting

      I am looking for the following info. If anyone can help me track it down, I would appreciate it.

      Joel Crawford, in his book, CARFREE CITIES, page 142-143, describes the land use percentages as they would be in a carfree district. He lists the following:

      buildings: 38.3%
      streets/ pavement: 28.9%
      open space: 31.0%
      metro freight line: 1.8%

      i would love to have similar figures for any cities or suburbs anywhere in the world, but especially in the U.S. I want to have these figures to use in educational materials to be able to demonstrate what the advantages of carfree developments can be.

      i have tried contacting city planning departments via e-mail, and have either gotten no response or the response that they do not have that data. I imagine that it could be calculated using aerial fotos.

      Does anyone have any ideas of where I might find this data? Also, if people could find out the data for their particular town or city (and pass it along to me), I could compile it and put it on our website.

      I think that it would be very valuable to have.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Best

      David Ceaser
      CarFree City, USA
      david@...

    • Colin Leath
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        david,
        isn't this what you want:
        http://www.carfree.com/design/far/

        http://www.carfree.com/far.html

        The l.a. statistic is widely cited... I think, but I'm
        not sure from where.

        Colin
        http://carfreeuniverse.org

        --- "Carfree City, USA" <carfreecity@...> wrote:
        > hi all
        >
        > sorry about the cross posting
        >
        > I am looking for the following info. If anyone can
        > help me track it down, I would appreciate it.
        >
        > Joel Crawford, in his book, CARFREE CITIES, page
        > 142-143, describes the land use percentages as they
        > would be in a carfree district. He lists the
        > following:
        >
        > buildings: 38.3%
        > streets/ pavement: 28.9%
        > open space: 31.0%
        > metro freight line: 1.8%
        >
        > i would love to have similar figures for any cities
        > or suburbs anywhere in the world, but especially in
        > the U.S. I want to have these figures to use in
        > educational materials to be able to demonstrate what
        > the advantages of carfree developments can be.
        >
        > i have tried contacting city planning departments
        > via e-mail, and have either gotten no response or
        > the response that they do not have that data. I
        > imagine that it could be calculated using aerial
        > fotos.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas of where I might find
        > this data? Also, if people could find out the data
        > for their particular town or city (and pass it along
        > to me), I could compile it and put it on our
        > website.
        >
        > I think that it would be very valuable to have.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > Best
        >
        > David Ceaser
        > CarFree City, USA
        > david@...

      • Jeremy Hubble
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          You may try looking at a few city sources -

          The parks department will probably have a number of total patkland.

          I have found useful information in zoning codes and zoning maps, though
          it is often not in very useful formats. Some assumptions can be made
          from some of the data.

          My rough approach was to use the city zoning maps and zoning codes to
          make some assumptions.

          For example:
          20% of city is zoned for 'Rx'
          'Rx' requires that a house sit on a minimum .25 acre lot with a minimum
          20 foot setback, 2 car garage, 10 foot side clearance, and maximum 20%
          lot coverage, and requires parking for 2 cars. Parking regulations
          required 'y' space per car parked. From this some numbers could be made
          for the specific residence. You could probably use census data to get
          number of single family houses and multiple it out to get rough housing
          approximation.

          For commercial property, there are usually similar zoning regulations,
          often based on square footage or other factors. The city or chamber of
          commerce will probably have data on the total office space as well as
          total number of commercial entities, etc. From these aggregate
          approximations of total building space as well as total parking and
          'private parkland' can be obtained.

          The roads department probably knows how many miles of road are in the
          city. They can probably also give a break down by type (arterial,
          collector, etc.) Zoning regulations also dictate the minimum widths of
          roads, and can be used to get a rough approximation of total road space
          used.

          Using these methods gets a quick and rough 'theoretical' land-use
          breakdown for cities that don't have the information readily available.
          It will be most useful for newer cities. Older cities are most likely
          heavily built up in a way that doesn't at all resemble current zoning.

          Jeremy