Re: [carfree_cities] Russia Is World's Key to Having Oil to Burn

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 rickrise@... wrote:
      > Interesting though perhaps wishful article...Simmons, the energy
      > analyst, doesn't see much hope for Russian oilfields. (Flanigan's
      > an economist, and therefore believes that high prices create more
      > oil....)

      Yeah, don't you wish they'd stop teaching them that the laws of
      physics don't apply in their world?

      I couldn't get to the story immediately (the LA Times keeps "losing"
      my registration info), but it seems to me that there is a fundamental
      problem with the concept: You have to find oil before you can produce
      it and I'm not aware that Russia's reserves (although substantial) are
      even close to large enough to provide cornucopian surpluses in the
      long run.

      IIRC, proven (hah!) Russian reserves amount to perhaps half those of
      either Iran or Iraq alone, maybe 20% of the Saudi endowment and less
      than 10% of the total Persian Gulf reserves. In that ballpark,

      We probably shouldn't count on Russia to keep the grandchildren
      supplied with cheap gas.

      "War is a racket."

      -General Smedley Butler, 1934
      Commandant, US Marine Corps