Housekeeping

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2000
      Hi All,

      Some housekeeping points, if I may:

      The tone and content of the discussion have been good, and I have
      not had to intervene in any list problems so far.

      However, traffic on the list has risen to the point where I'm having
      trouble coping with it myself. So:

      Please limit your posts to one a day (two in a pinch!).
      Please try to hack out as much deadwood in the post to which you are
      replying as possible--leave only the parts relevant to your response.
      Please, no "right on, brother/sister!" messages. If necessary, please make
      these responses off-list (i.e., directly to the person involved).

      TJ Binkley and Doug Salzmann have agreed to become moderators of the group,
      to help with the smooth flow of things. Welcome and thanks!

      We'll be moving on to concrete action we can take to bring
      carfree streets to a city near you as quickly as possible.
      The actions now under consideration are:

      Carfree Cities conference (hopefully aboard a train in Europe)
      Promotional slide show
      3-D Internet walk-throughs
      Better simulation and modelling
      Construction of a larger maquette
      Correspondents for Carfree Times
      Building and maintaining the best carfree link site on the internet
      Fundraising/organization building

      Please consider which areas might interest you for direct
      involvement and action (that means actual work!).

      Finally, there are serious distribution problems with the book.
      I'm working to correct this as quickly as possible. In particular,
      I'm trying to coordinate with a great independent bookstore in
      Berkeley to do rapid fulfillment of Internet orders. More on these
      items soon. Meanwhile, please report to me at postmaster@...
      any problems you have trying to obtain the book.

      Thanks & regards,

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
        Hi All,

        Time again for some housekeeping notes.

        Quite a number of competent, well-informed, and well-connected citizens,
        designers, writers, activists, developers, planners, and financers, who
        have the specialized knowledge, expertise, political connections, and
        access to capital that we need to get carfree cities built are more
        likely to listen to and join in on our discussion if we keep our comments
        as concise, on-topic, and specific as possible.

        The partiticipation of these sort of like-minded individuals will benefit
        us all, and could dramatically accelerate the development of carfree
        cities.

        Everyone enjoys receiving a word of thanks or praise. Thanking an
        individual subscriber for responding to a query; or expressing a simple
        compliment or note of gratitude for a particularly useful, compelling, or
        inspiring message, will always be appreciated by that subscriber, and
        should be encouraged. Since such messages only concern one person,
        however, they should be sent directly to that person, not to the entire
        list. Similarly, messages likely to be of interest only to two or three
        subscribers should be sent directly to those individuals. Please
        consider whether your posting is likely to be of interest to most list
        subscribers. When in doubt, send it off-list.

        We have recieved complaints about the frequency, vagueness, and
        off-topic nature of the messages posted by a few members of this
        list. For the professionals on this list, opening, skimming, and deleting
        these messages is a sufficient burden that some have cancelled their
        membership in the group.

        Some members also remain concerned about the total number of postings on
        certain days. In addition to keeping our messages more directly focused
        on the topic of carfree cities, please combine the two or three or four
        messages to which you'd like to respond into a single message (with two
        or three or four different key words in the subject line if appropriate).

        As a reminder, please precede all links with a brief summary of the
        contents. It takes time to check a link to determine whether or not it's
        of interest. Remember that 80 people will see your posting--please be
        considerate of their time.

        In order to help save the time of list subscribers, please be sure
        to snip out redundant parts of the message to which you are reply.

        We don't want to have to put any members of this list on "moderated"
        status, but we will resort to this rather draconian measure if
        gentle persuasion doesn't do the trick. We'd really appreciate
        your cooperation in making this an effective list.

        We encourage everyone on the list who has comments, questions, or
        concerns about this to send them (off-list) to one or all of the
        moderators:

        TJ Binkley: <tjbink@...>
        Doug Salzmann: <doug@...>
        J.H. Crawford: <postmaster@...>

        We'll be happy to consider your concerns and interests.

        Thanks,

        Your moderators.

        ###

        On sabbatical until September. Please expect slow responses to e-mail.

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
      • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
          1.

          Here in Montréal on the local newsgroup a montrealer asked us if he can more
          easily live carfree in Portland than he does in Montréal. He wants to
          determine if he should move to Portland or stay here.

          He asked about public transportation and walking in particular.

          Unfortunately nobody here seems to have lived in both places for a
          significant amount of time.

          2.

          Amoung the ridiculeness and unreality of car ads, here's one that probably
          beats the record.

          You first see a woman standing next to her bike, another person on foot,
          somewhere on a land with some nature. Suddenly the VW passes really close
          to them and the 2 people start to run after it. The 2 heros are also chased
          by several "ennemy" horseback riders. Suddenly the car brakes and puts
          itself in the way of horses and *miraculously* the vehicle doesn't get run
          onto by the horses (the images before let us think the collision can't be
          avoided). One of the heros gets on the passenger seat, and the car goes
          away, apparently with no more ennemy chasing it.

          This is serious, because the car showed potential danger to people outside
          of it (the 2 heroes), and then the driver has been in danger while stopping
          in the way of running horses.

          So if we assume the best for the company: the person watching the ad wants
          to buy a new car, I sincerely believe he won't be tempted to buy this car
          after this ad because the danger it showed. Furthermore it didn't give
          technical details or price.

          Louis-Luc
        • carfreecrawford
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2002
            Hi All,

            It seemed like a good time for a little housekeeping.

            I've been very pleased with the way the group has developed during
            the past two years.

            The following guidelines will improve the usefulness of the list for
            everyone:

            Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
            Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
            When responding, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
            When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:".
            Keep messages reasonably short.
            Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
            Attachments cannot be sent.
            In the case of short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
            Please include sources and a full URLs where available.
            Spammers will be dealt with severely.

            Regards,
            J.H. Crawford
            Moderator
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
              Hi All,

              It's been a while since I mentioned some items of list etiquette.
              Please remember to:

              Trim junk from earlier posts when replying
              Be as brief as possible
              Don't try to be cute or clever--people don't have time for this
              and those whose native language is not English have trouble

              New members are moderated. If I don't like a member's first
              proposed posting, I don't approve it and it won't appear.

              Let's try again to be a little less eager to take up issues
              that are mainly of local interest.

              In general, I'm pleased with the group and the usual tone of
              the messages.

              Thanks & regards,

              ------ ### -----
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
                Hi All,

                It's time to review the list guidelines once more:
                * Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
                * Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
                * Be considerate of people's time - 600 people will be reading your post.
                * When responding to a posting, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
                * When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:" to identify the source.
                * Keep messages reasonably short.
                * Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
                * Attachments cannot be sent.
                * In the case of interesting short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
                * Please include sources and full URLs where available.
                * Spammers will be dealt with severely.

                Thanks,

                Joel