Re: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 1310

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2004
      Richard Risemberg replied to an earlier post from J.H. Crawford:

      > >Be careful what you wish for...in the old days it was called "coal gas,"
      > >because that's what it was made from. And the preferred mining
      > >technology these days is, of course, open pit, with its attendant
      > >effects on habitat, health, and water.

      Indeed. Coal, regardless of the form it is found in or converted to,
      is an ugly mess at every step of the way.

      ...and Crawford said:

      > What I'm wishing for is energy derived entirely from sustainable
      > sources. Coal gas was one of the filthiest fuels ever, and was
      > most certainly not sustainable. We need, eventually, to end our
      > consumption of fossil fuels entirely. Sooner is better than later.

      This is, quite simply, an "or else" situation. Human civilization
      will either find ways to power itself with sustainable energy, *or
      else* civilization will prove unsustainable.

      As we all know, there are lots of options out there. However, the
      evidence to date suggests that none of the sustainable choices are
      likely to provide abundant, cheap energy for six-going-on-ten billion
      people seeking modern western standards of living, as those standards
      are currently understood. We're going to have to confront both
      population growth and our notion of endless economic growth -- along
      with our penchant for gluttonous consumption. That confrontation
      entails dealing with some rather difficult issues.

      One expects that the fact that global industrial capitalism is
      inherently incompatible with the long-term survival of civilization
      will continue to be difficult for many to assimilate.

      -Doug

      ---
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo