News from Atimes Online

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2004
      Quote:

      "The White House says that the terrorists want to destroy the American way
      of life. But what if the whole thing is upside down? To preserve an
      American way of life that guzzles - and wastes - tremendous amounts of
      energy, Washington is forced to go military all the way"

      From : rickrise@...

      Read This News :: http://atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/FE18Aa03.html

      ============ Visit us at: http://www.atimes.com ==========
    • Mike Harrington
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2004
        The Bush crowd have changed the definition of the term "American Way
        of Life." If you went to school in the fifties and early sixties in
        the US it was taught that the American way of life was the
        Constitution and the Rule of Law. George Bush I said the American
        way of life is not negotiable, but the context for his statement was
        a response to a suggestion that the Americans are really responsible
        for their own problems due to excessive energy consumption, that the
        US' voracious appetite for oil is the cause of much if not most of
        the political and economic instability in the world today. Most of
        the US leadership has scrapped the former definition for the latter.
        Freedom today apparently is restricted to driving a car, and we can
        forget about the rule of law.

        Apparently there's an ongoing effort to re-write the constitution of
        Iraq. Jay Leno had a great comment a couple of months ago:

        "Hey, why don't we send them ours? It worked well for us for over two
        hundred years . . . and we're not using it anymore . . "

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
          News From Atimes.com

          From : rickrise@...

          Read This News :: http://atimes.com/atimes/China/FF10Ad05.html

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2004
            Good overview of Peak oil in a geopolitical context.

            From : rickrise@...

            Read This News :: http://atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/FH24Dj01.html

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
              News From Atimes.com

              From : rickrise@...

              Read This News :: http://atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/GI07Aa02.html

              ============ Visit us at: http://www.atimes.com ==========
            • Simon Baddeley
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
                Yes I¹ve filed this one to see how it reads same time next year. S

                From: <rickrise@...>
                Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:57:53 -0400
                To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [carfree_cities] News from Atimes Online