RE: [carfree_cities] Rising Fuel Prices

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2004
      Lanyon, Ryan wrote:
      >Great letter, Richard! Reading about the price of gasoline made me wonder
      >what the current price of other liquids is... here's what I came up with:
      >
      >Current price of gas in Ottawa: $0.783-$0.859 per litre (Source:
      >www.ottawagasprices.com/)
      >
      >Current price of 1L water in Ottawa (bottled Dasani): $0.99 (Source:
      >www.loblaws.ca)

      Ironically today at work(I work at Loblaws) I was thinking about a similar
      situation, when a customer made a comment on the price of maple syrup(a
      store brand 500ml glass bottle @ $7.99). I told him "gasoline is
      cheaper"(recently local media have been harking over gas prices). I think he
      then started to put it in some perspective.

      >Current price of 1L milk in Ottawa (Sealtest homogenized): $2.39, or $1.85
      >per litre when buying a 2L carton (Source: www.loebglebeonline.com)
      >
      >Couldn't find the price of Pepsi or Coke online, but it's usually from
      >$1.80
      >to $2.80 per 2L bottle - $0.90 to $1.40 per litre.

      Another thing that is different about buying gasoline retail wise compared
      to some other liquids is that there is no volume discount. For Coke or Pepsi
      in my store a 1L bottle is $1.39, next time look at the prices between 1L
      and 2L formats. The only way I think you could really get some sort of a
      volume discount is if you negotiate a contract with an oil company, but
      you'd pretty much need to have a fleet vehicles(buses, trucks, even
      locomotives) to make it worth while to them.

      >The bottom line is that fuel for your car is cheaper than fuel for your
      >body. Anyone else ever do a price comparison in their area?

      Also maple syrup is cheaper by the can, then by the bottle.

      From Montreal,
      Andrew Dawson

      Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*