Re: FAR Illustrated, at last!

  • look384
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2004
      Mattt wrote:

      "Well, Tallahassee (and most other sprawling cities) has plenty of
      green space. But I don't count green space if it's in the form of
      fenced-in stormwater ponds, some of which are absolutely huge. The
      University's 500-some acre campus has a stormwater pond of something
      like 40 acres about a mile south of campus to which stormwater is
      piped. How would stormwater be handled in a carfree city in a rainy
      area (like the southeastern USA) if each district is a few hundred
      acres of pavement and buildings? Would we need giant stormwater
      ponds on the periphery?"

      A carfree city would have much less hard surface (roads, buildings,
      etc) than a typical sprawl city. Hard surface generates a great
      deal more stormwater runoff than non-hard surfaces. Sprawl cities
      have many low buildings and lots of road surface, which wouldn't be
      the case in a car free city. Northern Europe has both lots of rain
      and city design similar to carfree design, stormwater isn't a
      problem there. I don't know exactly where it goes, but believe the
      majority of it is just absorbed in the ground.

      "Of course, the presence of fences around everything and the lack of
      public rights of way between private properties makes for very hard
      walking. In a carfree city, we need some sort of regulation limiting
      the width of private properties to something like 500 feet in any
      direction. Public streets should be within easy reach of anywhere,
      and you should not have to walk around a mall half a mile wide just
      to get somewhere."

      Excellent point, and one that is hit upon both by J.H. Crawford in
      Carfree Cities and Jane Jacobs in The Death and Life of Great
      American Cities. Blocks are too large in sprawl cities, which is a
      huge obstacle to walking/cycling, as well as asthetics. They argue
      for blocks no larger than 120-150 meters long. For example,
      Crawford mentions no point should be more than 75 meters from a
      street wide enough for emergency vehicles. These blocks would be
      less than 500 feet long (maximum length), and at times substantially
      shorter.

      Kevin