re: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 1289

  • cholt2@cogeco.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      > At 11:35 PM 4/28/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Currently, 15,000 transport
      > >trucks per day sit idling on our local roads as they try to cross to
      > >the US.
      >
      > About how long does it take the average truck to get from the back of the
      > queue to the border

      All these trucks are waiting on one of our municipal roads. The ones at the back, after seeing the incredible line-up
      to cross the bridge, try to take short-cuts through the city to get to the front. At the beginning of the week, the
      wait to get across can be anywhere from 4 - 7 hours. We find these trucks driving through residential neighbourhoods
      just to try and cut a few kilometers off their route.

      We have enacted anti-diling by-laws, by-laws that restrict truck access to only a few of our streets, etc. They go
      unenforced. Our city is perpetually fed the line thta these trucks are good for our economy. They don't even realize
      that 180,000 trucks per year are sealed at customs in Buffalo, New York and then use Canada as a short-cut. They cannot
      stop for any reason enroute.