Re: [carfree_cities] Yahoo news article

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, T. J. Binkley wrote:

      > >In 2003, 43,220 people died participating in the "American way of life".
      >
      > As a point of comparison, does anyone know the total number of Americans
      > killed throughout the ENTIRE 20TH CENTURY by plane crashes? train
      > crashes? bike crashes?

      In 2003, according to the NTSB, 22 people were killed in airline
      accidents.

      In the past 20 years, there have been about 3,000 total U.S. airline
      fatalities.

      <http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Table5.htm>

      In 2003, the Federal Railroad Administration reported 862 total
      fatalities, of which more than 95 % were at highway/rail intersections
      or involved "trespassing" on the railroad R.O.W.

      <http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeofsafety/>

      The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports 660 total U.S.
      bicycle deaths for 2002, the latest year for which statistics were
      complete. (If not for clueless, aggressive motorists...)

      <http://www.highwaysafety.org/safety_facts/fatality_facts/bikes.htm>

      In the same year, 4,808 pedestrians were reported killed, probably not
      too many of them in collisions with bikes or other pedestrians.

      <http://www.highwaysafety.org/safety_facts/fatality_facts/peds.htm>

      And one T.J. didn't mention: For 2001, the DOJ Bureau of Justice
      Statistics reports 15,980 murders and non-negligent manslaughters in
      the United States.

      <http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm>

      Sheesh.

      -Doug

      --

      "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak
      of war is nothing but an act of murder."

      -Albert Einstein

      ---
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo