Re: [carfree_cities] transport question

  • T. J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
      At 11:35 PM 4/28/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      >Currently, 15,000 transport
      >trucks per day sit idling on our local roads as they try to cross to
      >the US.

      About how long does it take the average truck to get from the back of the
      queue to the border?

      Could the entire line be instructed via radio to stop their engines for 30
      minutes while the first few dozen are allowed (by a traffic cop) to make
      their way across? Then have everyone move forward and shut down for
      another 30 minutes?

      Given the high amount of emissions cold engines put out on starting, how
      long would the interval need to be to actually reduce emissions?

      -TJB
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 7:08 PM
        There is a funny(sic) project at hand in the Detroit-Windsor area, where the
        two existing rail tunnels would be turned into truck only tunnels and a new
        rail tunnel (single track) is to be built beside it.
        http://www.thejobstunnel.com

        Andrew

        >From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
        >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] transport question
        >Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:04:22 -0700
        >
        >Forget the Big-Dig style tunnel. Propose a rail tunnel NOW; have it
        >built, as roads are, at public expense; have it open to whatever rail
        >entities you may have in Canada, or, better yet, have it open to all
        >container companies at nominal cost (by which I mean nearly free), with
        >shuttle trains operated by the government. The payback would then be
        >the benefit to the community and the money saved on future road
        >infrastructure.
        >
        >The tunnel should begin in a staging area in the midst of your factory
        >locations and end in a similar area in the US. Any cross-border
        >paperwork and inspections should take place in the staging areas, which,
        >being plazas rather than roads, could have multiple entrances and
        >processing stations, all easily policed. Containers, or even entire
        >trucks, are easy to load onto railcars with large motorized claws that
        >grab the container and muscle it onto the train in about 15 seconds. I
        >have watched these at work in LA. (Trailers loaded with finished cars
        >would require different treatment, or the cars could simply be driven
        >from the factories and onto the trains, as they are for ship transport.)
        >
        >By emphasizing that the government would be paying itself profit in the
        >form of physcial and social health and reduced public expendituresm
        >rather than in cash, you could justify building something like this.
        >That's what they did in promoting the Alameda Corridor in LA, which has
        >as its primary purpose congestion and smog reduction.
        >
        >Richard
        >
        >Chris Holt wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a question for this list on a topic that is plaguing my
        > > community right now. It is one that deals with the entire way that
        > > Canadian (as others) move their goods around. Yes, the almighty
        > > transport truck.
        > >
        >[snip]
        > >
        > > So what do we do in the interm? We realize that long term we must
        > > reevaluate the ways in which we trade and move goods, but what do we
        > > do right now to quell the diesel fumes we're currently filtering
        > > through our lungs? Build a staging area outside the city where the
        > > trucks can queue until they're able to cross? Build a tunnel
        > > (a-la-Boston's Big Dig) and then convert it to rail when the need
        > > permits? Anything we proposed cannot contribute any more to our
        > > long-term reliance on this mode of transport.
        > >

        >--
        >Richard Risemberg
        >http://www.living-room.org
        >http://www.newcolonist.com
        >
        >"Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
        >will not even be human."
        >
        > RR

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium