Yahoo news article

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2004
      http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040428/ap_on_go_ot/
      traffic_deaths_2

      In 2003, 43,220 people died participating in the "American way of life". Here's my favorite
      line from the article:

      "If we had 800 people killed every week in airplanes, everyone would be falling all over
      themselves coming up with a safety plan." said Jacqueline Gillan, vice president of the
      watchdog group Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety."

      ...which is true. I think that not only do Americans not want to think the truth about auto
      fatalities, but Congress (AKA, a branch of the auto industry) shields that truth from us.

      --matt
    • Steve Geller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2004
        >In 2003, 43,220 people died participating in the "American way of life".
        >Here's my favorite
        >line from the article:
        >
        >"If we had 800 people killed every week in airplanes, everyone would be
        >falling all over
        >themselves coming up with a safety plan."

        I once saw this pointed out in a conversation with someone
        opposed to nuclear power plants. Deaths form aircraft crashes
        are much more likely than deaths from nuclear accidents,
        and deaths from driving a car much worse still.

        Of course, a major nuclear meltdown potentially could kill
        many more yet.

        Then one gets into talking about poisoning of the atmosphere,
        and that's a good time to pull in pollution from cars....

        Is it really safer to live car-free and never fly? Or must one always
        worry about the cars and the nukes?
      • T. J. Binkley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004

          >In 2003, 43,220 people died participating in the "American way of life".

          As a point of comparison, does anyone know the total number of Americans
          killed throughout the ENTIRE 20TH CENTURY by plane crashes? train
          crashes? bike crashes?

          -TJB
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2004
            On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, T. J. Binkley wrote:

            > >In 2003, 43,220 people died participating in the "American way of life".
            >
            > As a point of comparison, does anyone know the total number of Americans
            > killed throughout the ENTIRE 20TH CENTURY by plane crashes? train
            > crashes? bike crashes?

            In 2003, according to the NTSB, 22 people were killed in airline
            accidents.

            In the past 20 years, there have been about 3,000 total U.S. airline
            fatalities.

            <http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Table5.htm>

            In 2003, the Federal Railroad Administration reported 862 total
            fatalities, of which more than 95 % were at highway/rail intersections
            or involved "trespassing" on the railroad R.O.W.

            <http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeofsafety/>

            The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports 660 total U.S.
            bicycle deaths for 2002, the latest year for which statistics were
            complete. (If not for clueless, aggressive motorists...)

            <http://www.highwaysafety.org/safety_facts/fatality_facts/bikes.htm>

            In the same year, 4,808 pedestrians were reported killed, probably not
            too many of them in collisions with bikes or other pedestrians.

            <http://www.highwaysafety.org/safety_facts/fatality_facts/peds.htm>

            And one T.J. didn't mention: For 2001, the DOJ Bureau of Justice
            Statistics reports 15,980 murders and non-negligent manslaughters in
            the United States.

            <http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm>

            Sheesh.

            -Doug

            --

            "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak
            of war is nothing but an act of murder."

            -Albert Einstein

            ---
            Doug Salzmann
            Kalliergo