Re: [carfree_cities] John Kerry on energy and cities

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      Doug said:

      >The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:
      >
      ><http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

      >> US oil consumption is
      >> about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
      >> importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.
      >
      >I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
      >running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

      In fact, the 2 mbd figure is pretty accurate according to EIA.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

    • Patrick McDonough
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
        >As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
        cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the global
        industrial machine... To >believe that he is sincere when he makes
        pretty speeches about protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

        Look, I'm not a massive Kerry fan, but there are serious differences
        between Bush and Kerry. It's this kind of hyperbole which leads to
        Nader votes, which leads to 4 more years of Bush in office, which I
        don't even want to contemplate. If you don't believe Kerry's talk on
        ANWR, then fine, check the voting record.

        Here's Kerry according to an independent position-tracking website:
        http://www.issues2000.org/International/John_Kerry_Energy_+_Oil.htm

        Here's Bill Frist, the "moderate" Senate Majority Leader:
        http://www.issues2000.org/International/Bill_Frist_Energy_+_Oil.htm

        And of course, here's Bush:
        http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Energy_+_Oil.htm

        And here's Kerry vowing to filibuster the Senate along with Lieberman to
        prevent an ANWR vote.
        http://www.dailykos.net/archives/001987.html

        No, Kerry is not explicitly talking about demand reduction, compact
        urban form, or even greater investment in transit. But he has gone on
        record saying that we can't drill our way out of our energy problems.
        Yes, I'd like to hear something more progressive from him, too, but this
        is a step on the right path, and that's still important.

        It's your choice- you can be ideologically pure about who you will
        support, and cast your vote for some well-intentioned obscure person who
        will not impact the national debate in any way. I choose to vote in a
        way that maximizes the chance of success for my goals for my community
        and my country, and that vote is not only a vote against Bush, but also
        for John Kerry and Democratic candidates in Senate and House races, and
        Democrats and Greens locally. Additionally, I believe that this is the
        best voting posture for U.S. supporters of carfree or car-lite living
        environments.

        Patrick