Re: [carfree_cities] John Kerry on energy and cities

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > Does anybody have the numbers handy?

      The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:

      <http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

      Just don't pay any attention to their long-range projections ;^)

      > US oil consumption is
      > about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
      > importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.

      I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
      running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

      As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
      cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the
      global industrial machine that is gulping the planet's resources, and
      spewing waste into every nook and cranny, as fast as possible. He's
      just another bought-and-paid-for lackey of a system that is ensuring
      that every drop of petroleum that can be pumped will be -- ASAP. To
      believe that he is sincere when he makes pretty speeches about
      protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

      Global industrial capitalism and environmentalism are incompatible.

      -Doug

      ---
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo
      Post Office Box 307
      Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

      <doug@...>
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
        Doug said:

        >The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:
        >
        ><http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

        >> US oil consumption is
        >> about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
        >> importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.
        >
        >I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
        >running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

        In fact, the 2 mbd figure is pretty accurate according to EIA.

        Regards,

        -- ### --

      • Patrick McDonough
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
          >As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
          cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the global
          industrial machine... To >believe that he is sincere when he makes
          pretty speeches about protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

          Look, I'm not a massive Kerry fan, but there are serious differences
          between Bush and Kerry. It's this kind of hyperbole which leads to
          Nader votes, which leads to 4 more years of Bush in office, which I
          don't even want to contemplate. If you don't believe Kerry's talk on
          ANWR, then fine, check the voting record.

          Here's Kerry according to an independent position-tracking website:
          http://www.issues2000.org/International/John_Kerry_Energy_+_Oil.htm

          Here's Bill Frist, the "moderate" Senate Majority Leader:
          http://www.issues2000.org/International/Bill_Frist_Energy_+_Oil.htm

          And of course, here's Bush:
          http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Energy_+_Oil.htm

          And here's Kerry vowing to filibuster the Senate along with Lieberman to
          prevent an ANWR vote.
          http://www.dailykos.net/archives/001987.html

          No, Kerry is not explicitly talking about demand reduction, compact
          urban form, or even greater investment in transit. But he has gone on
          record saying that we can't drill our way out of our energy problems.
          Yes, I'd like to hear something more progressive from him, too, but this
          is a step on the right path, and that's still important.

          It's your choice- you can be ideologically pure about who you will
          support, and cast your vote for some well-intentioned obscure person who
          will not impact the national debate in any way. I choose to vote in a
          way that maximizes the chance of success for my goals for my community
          and my country, and that vote is not only a vote against Bush, but also
          for John Kerry and Democratic candidates in Senate and House races, and
          Democrats and Greens locally. Additionally, I believe that this is the
          best voting posture for U.S. supporters of carfree or car-lite living
          environments.

          Patrick