Re: [carfree_cities] John Kerry on energy and cities

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      Does anybody have the numbers handy? US oil consumption is
      about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
      importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East. If
      so, we ought to let the Kerry folks know about the mistake.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, J.H. Crawford wrote:

        > Does anybody have the numbers handy?

        The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:

        <http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

        Just don't pay any attention to their long-range projections ;^)

        > US oil consumption is
        > about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
        > importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.

        I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
        running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

        As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
        cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the
        global industrial machine that is gulping the planet's resources, and
        spewing waste into every nook and cranny, as fast as possible. He's
        just another bought-and-paid-for lackey of a system that is ensuring
        that every drop of petroleum that can be pumped will be -- ASAP. To
        believe that he is sincere when he makes pretty speeches about
        protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

        Global industrial capitalism and environmentalism are incompatible.

        -Doug

        ---
        Doug Salzmann
        Kalliergo
        Post Office Box 307
        Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

        <doug@...>
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
          Doug said:

          >The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:
          >
          ><http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

          >> US oil consumption is
          >> about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
          >> importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.
          >
          >I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
          >running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

          In fact, the 2 mbd figure is pretty accurate according to EIA.

          Regards,

          -- ### --

        • Patrick McDonough
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
            >As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
            cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the global
            industrial machine... To >believe that he is sincere when he makes
            pretty speeches about protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

            Look, I'm not a massive Kerry fan, but there are serious differences
            between Bush and Kerry. It's this kind of hyperbole which leads to
            Nader votes, which leads to 4 more years of Bush in office, which I
            don't even want to contemplate. If you don't believe Kerry's talk on
            ANWR, then fine, check the voting record.

            Here's Kerry according to an independent position-tracking website:
            http://www.issues2000.org/International/John_Kerry_Energy_+_Oil.htm

            Here's Bill Frist, the "moderate" Senate Majority Leader:
            http://www.issues2000.org/International/Bill_Frist_Energy_+_Oil.htm

            And of course, here's Bush:
            http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Energy_+_Oil.htm

            And here's Kerry vowing to filibuster the Senate along with Lieberman to
            prevent an ANWR vote.
            http://www.dailykos.net/archives/001987.html

            No, Kerry is not explicitly talking about demand reduction, compact
            urban form, or even greater investment in transit. But he has gone on
            record saying that we can't drill our way out of our energy problems.
            Yes, I'd like to hear something more progressive from him, too, but this
            is a step on the right path, and that's still important.

            It's your choice- you can be ideologically pure about who you will
            support, and cast your vote for some well-intentioned obscure person who
            will not impact the national debate in any way. I choose to vote in a
            way that maximizes the chance of success for my goals for my community
            and my country, and that vote is not only a vote against Bush, but also
            for John Kerry and Democratic candidates in Senate and House races, and
            Democrats and Greens locally. Additionally, I believe that this is the
            best voting posture for U.S. supporters of carfree or car-lite living
            environments.

            Patrick