John Kerry on energy and cities

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 2:41 PM
      I followed Patrick McDonough's advice:

      > Kerry also has one of the best environmental voting records in
      > the Senate. To suggest that there would not be an improvement under
      > Kerry in terms of progress towards the goals sought by carfree city
      > supporters- is naive. Please see
      > http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/energy/

      I wouldn't disagree that his approach is superior to Bush's but there
      are still aspects of his plan that seem questionable or poorly
      explained. It may be better than execrable but it only shines in
      comparison to the other mainstream alternative.

      His energy plan is at the following URL:

      http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/energy/plan.html

      Now, I am not an American, but a Canadian recently moved to DC for
      work. Although I can't vote in the US elections, I think I can point
      out some points that Americans could encourage Kerry to rethink:

      From the introduction:
      "Kerry�s plan will reduce oil dependence by two million barrels of oil
      a day, as much as we currently import from the Middle East."
      I wonder *when* this is supposed to happen? Twenty years from now, the
      date he sets for several of his targets? One suspects that the
      impending decline in cheap oil could well force the issue before that
      time.

      The section on "Priorities" several times proposes a future
      "hydrogen-based energy economy".
      Under "Reducing Oil Dependence by Two Million Barrels of Oil a Day":
      "Americans should drive the cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks of their
      choice, but that these vehicles can be safer,�more efficient and
      affordable. Kerry believes that we should increase our fuel economy
      standards to 36 miles per gallon by 2015 and�will also provide tax
      incentives for consumers to buy the vehicles they want and incentives
      for manufacturers to convert factories to build the more efficient
      vehicles of the future. Taken together these proposals will enhance
      national security, strengthen the American auto industry, and protect
      and create jobs."
      Need I say anything here?

      "A Plan to Use Hydrogen Throughout the Nation By 2020":
      "While John Kerry believes our nation needs a strategy to reduce
      dependence on oil today, he knows we can harness technological
      innovation and ingenuity to develop a hydrogen-based economy for the
      future. "
      He merely "believes" a strategy is necessary (!) but somehow "knows"
      that "they" will bring hydrogen down from the sky. This *fuel* for "the
      cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks of their choice", of course, will be
      "eventually" obtained "entirely from renewable sources from our farms,
      the wind, solar energy, hydropower and geothermal sources".
      He seems confident about predicting what *will* happen in the future
      (without providing dates!) but less so about the need for an
      oil-dependence strategy for today. Pies in the sky do look delicious,
      don't they? He also "knows" that we will have sufficient energy from
      various renewable sources to produce this hydrogen fuel, and presumably
      assumes that this leaves enough for other, primary uses of energy
      derived from these sources. Someone should be able to challenge him on
      his thinking here.

      "Making Our Homes, Offices, Schools, and Cities More Energy Efficient":
      "John Kerry believes that the government should promote the efficient
      use of energy in the places that we work and live.� Kerry will cut the
      Government�s energy bill 20 percent by 2020 � saving the Federal
      government $8 billion over the next ten years - and will challenge
      municipalities, corporations, universities, small businesses, and
      hospitals to do the same. He will also provide tax credits for
      energy-efficient buildings and homes."
      Laudable, but is there room to be more aggressive in this area?

      He has two more sections, on gas and coal, which again leave much room
      for debate.

      A second area I find interesting is his section on "Urban America",
      which includes cities and their suburbs:

      http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/urban/

      I have copied a couple of quotes here:

      III.����� INVESTING IN COMMUNITIES.

      Urban areas are often the center for creative and scientific
      industries and technologies, which will provide the foundation for the
      nation's future prosperity. This prosperity is threatened, however, by
      persisting pockets of concentrated poverty, crime, under-performing
      schools, gridlocked highways, escalating taxes, and loss of community
      character. These threats lower the quality of life in urban areas and
      could undercut our metropolitan regions' capacity for growth and
      therefore our nation's economic security.� John Kerry believes that
      investments in diverse, healthy communities will expand opportunity and
      help grow our economy.

      He notes the problem of gridlocked highways and loss of community
      character, but does not seem to understand that these problems are
      related to the mindset that says "Americans should drive the cars,
      SUVs, minivans and trucks of their choice". A look at the quote below
      reveals only a wishy-washy commitment to alternatives to a private
      car-centered transportation system; no hint of aggressive leadership on
      turning away from car culture and its voracious requirements.

      � Federal Transportation Policy That Works For Communities. Federal
      transportation policy is a powerful tool for building more livable
      communities - those where people, businesses and neighborhoods have
      access to a variety of transportation choices. Transportation plays a
      major role in quality of life, influencing everything from access to
      economic opportunities to environmental quality and community safety.�
      Having transportation choices means having the flexibility to use
      transportation dollars to best fit local needs such as building light
      rail and streetcar systems, redesigning neighborhood streets and
      sidewalks to be more pedestrian friendly, or reducing environmental
      damage caused by road projects.� John Kerry will advance a federal
      transportation policy that gives communities this flexibility. John
      Kerry will also improve the transportation planning and decision-making
      process by strengthening the role of Metropolitan Planning
      Organizations and increasing the opportunities for meaningful public
      participation from important and diverse community voices.

      As I said, I'm not an American voter, but I think there is enough
      material here for concerned Americans to (try to) goad Kerry at least
      into improving on what he proposes today.

      ...and when Paul Martin, the Canadian Prime Minister, calls an election
      sometime between now and this fall, I'd like to see if I can get
      together with Canadians on this list on challenging the parties on
      these issues...

      Chris Miller
      Washington DC, USA

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3 6:49 AM
        Does anybody have the numbers handy? US oil consumption is
        about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
        importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East. If
        so, we ought to let the Kerry folks know about the mistake.

        Regards,

        -- ### --

      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3 9:28 AM
          On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, J.H. Crawford wrote:

          > Does anybody have the numbers handy?

          The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:

          <http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

          Just don't pay any attention to their long-range projections ;^)

          > US oil consumption is
          > about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
          > importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.

          I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
          running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

          As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
          cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the
          global industrial machine that is gulping the planet's resources, and
          spewing waste into every nook and cranny, as fast as possible. He's
          just another bought-and-paid-for lackey of a system that is ensuring
          that every drop of petroleum that can be pumped will be -- ASAP. To
          believe that he is sincere when he makes pretty speeches about
          protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

          Global industrial capitalism and environmentalism are incompatible.

          -Doug

          ---
          Doug Salzmann
          Kalliergo
          Post Office Box 307
          Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

          <doug@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3 10:58 AM
            Doug said:

            >The "official" numbers are fairly well organized at:
            >
            ><http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

            >> US oil consumption is
            >> about 20 million barrels/day, IIRC. I thought that we were
            >> importing a lot more than 2 mbd from the Middle East.
            >
            >I haven't looked a the breakdowns recently, but total imports are
            >running at about 9 million bb/day, so...

            In fact, the 2 mbd figure is pretty accurate according to EIA.

            Regards,

            -- ### --

          • Patrick McDonough
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3 11:15 AM
              >As for Kerry vs. Bush on the environment, the differences are mostly
              cosmetic. Like, Smirky, Kerry is an enthusiastic champion of the global
              industrial machine... To >believe that he is sincere when he makes
              pretty speeches about protecting ANWR (or whatever) is truly naive.

              Look, I'm not a massive Kerry fan, but there are serious differences
              between Bush and Kerry. It's this kind of hyperbole which leads to
              Nader votes, which leads to 4 more years of Bush in office, which I
              don't even want to contemplate. If you don't believe Kerry's talk on
              ANWR, then fine, check the voting record.

              Here's Kerry according to an independent position-tracking website:
              http://www.issues2000.org/International/John_Kerry_Energy_+_Oil.htm

              Here's Bill Frist, the "moderate" Senate Majority Leader:
              http://www.issues2000.org/International/Bill_Frist_Energy_+_Oil.htm

              And of course, here's Bush:
              http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Energy_+_Oil.htm

              And here's Kerry vowing to filibuster the Senate along with Lieberman to
              prevent an ANWR vote.
              http://www.dailykos.net/archives/001987.html

              No, Kerry is not explicitly talking about demand reduction, compact
              urban form, or even greater investment in transit. But he has gone on
              record saying that we can't drill our way out of our energy problems.
              Yes, I'd like to hear something more progressive from him, too, but this
              is a step on the right path, and that's still important.

              It's your choice- you can be ideologically pure about who you will
              support, and cast your vote for some well-intentioned obscure person who
              will not impact the national debate in any way. I choose to vote in a
              way that maximizes the chance of success for my goals for my community
              and my country, and that vote is not only a vote against Bush, but also
              for John Kerry and Democratic candidates in Senate and House races, and
              Democrats and Greens locally. Additionally, I believe that this is the
              best voting posture for U.S. supporters of carfree or car-lite living
              environments.

              Patrick