Re: [carfree_cities] Heritage Conservation and Car free cities...

  • autofrei-wohnen.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Shahzarimin Salim,

      maybe this is interesting for you, a project of Expo 2000 :
      http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/ProjekteD.html#Piesteritz, there are some links
      and a short information about.
      This is the reconstruction of an old gardencity (build in 1916 bis 1919 for
      workers of a nearby fabric) in the East of Germany, near the
      city of Wittenberg. Special: it is optically carfree for the reason of
      monumental heritage, people who live there agreed with the introduction of
      carfreeness (cars are outside of the area), and it`s the only case of a
      "carfree" housing project I know with this reason. The project leader was Astrid
      Lindstedt from "Sachsen-Anhaltinische Landesentwicklungsgesellschaft" (Saleg),
      the architect was Mr Fritz Hubert, from Munich in Bavaria/Germany.

      Today the owner of the quarter is "Piesteritzer Siedlungsgesellschaft"
      (Pieteritz housing company), see http://www.wohnen-psg.de/, contact: Mr. Gerhard
      Leske (chief), Mail: leske@..., phone: +49-3491-614715

      Markus Heller, Berlin
      http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        On 31-Mar-04, at 11:39 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

        > The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
        > http://www.newcolonist.com!
        >
        > This month's features:
        >
        > (...) * A House for Every Lot, a Store for Every Corner
        > Eric Miller posits an efficient city and how it might look and
        > work in the United States....

        Reading this article equating efficiency with private ownership
        reminded me of a website I came across a while ago, which proposes a
        grand scheme called Victory Cities (TM) that WILL cure all the ills
        that our current ("obsolete") cities suffer from. The inventor of this
        scheme proposes to pack some 300 000 or more people into single 102
        storey cement+steel+glass-skinned buildings with a choice of a few
        different floor plans for already furnished (!) apartments, kitchenless
        all of them because everyone will eat in vast central cafeterias. The
        inventor of the idea is rather naively certain that since these cities
        will be privately owned by a corporation, all the messiness of
        non-privately owned cities will disappear.

        I find this vision (a new, corporate-owned Ville Radieuse) repulsive --
        but I leave it to others to draw their own conclusions.

        Here is the link:

        http://www.victorycities.com/

        Something that I find more encouraging is the website for Ecopolis, an
        Australian architecture firm that works with a philosophy based on
        environmental sustainability and human-scale architecture. Their
        website is an interesting read and has numerous examples of their
        projects, and they even have carfree.com in their links page:

        http://www.ecopolis.com.au/menu/menu.php

        Chris Miller
        Washington DC, USA
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2005
          he April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
          http://www.newcolonist.com!

          This month's features:

          • Let's Take a Stroll
          Jane Holtz Kay on the pleasures and perils of walking....
          • Windows in the Sky
          The world's paradigm of sprawl inches upward...
          • Tale of Our Urban Suburb
          Something's missing in Pittsburgh....
          • Concierge
          Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
          forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
          and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!
          • Vox Civitatis
          Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
          assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
          state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.
          And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other
          resources in our more than 500-article Archive!
          http://www.rickrise.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.living-room.org