Re: [carfree_cities] Heritage Conservation and Car free cities...

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      I will send this on to Uran Ecolgy as well; I think there are several
      people with the experience you're seeking there....

      Richard

      Min wrote:

      > hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
      > it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
      > know wether any of our car free members here have done
      > such study or experience in their respective field
      >
      > traffic is generate from landuse and building
      > use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
      > traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
      > real support from the existence of real community and
      > an integrated transit system. but still we have to
      > give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
      > maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
      > we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
      > stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
      > heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
      > community in town to make it possible.
      >
      > what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
      > the car free theories but some are not practical.
      > depends on how organic the town grows.
      >
      > all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
      > first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
      > to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
      > individuals here. thank you.
      >
      > - Shahzarimin Salim
      > Johor Bahru, Malaysia

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
      will not even be human."

      RR
    • autofrei-wohnen.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hi Shahzarimin Salim,

        maybe this is interesting for you, a project of Expo 2000 :
        http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/ProjekteD.html#Piesteritz, there are some links
        and a short information about.
        This is the reconstruction of an old gardencity (build in 1916 bis 1919 for
        workers of a nearby fabric) in the East of Germany, near the
        city of Wittenberg. Special: it is optically carfree for the reason of
        monumental heritage, people who live there agreed with the introduction of
        carfreeness (cars are outside of the area), and it`s the only case of a
        "carfree" housing project I know with this reason. The project leader was Astrid
        Lindstedt from "Sachsen-Anhaltinische Landesentwicklungsgesellschaft" (Saleg),
        the architect was Mr Fritz Hubert, from Munich in Bavaria/Germany.

        Today the owner of the quarter is "Piesteritzer Siedlungsgesellschaft"
        (Pieteritz housing company), see http://www.wohnen-psg.de/, contact: Mr. Gerhard
        Leske (chief), Mail: leske@..., phone: +49-3491-614715

        Markus Heller, Berlin
        http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

        | hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
        | it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
        | know wether any of our car free members here have done
        | such study or experience in their respective field
        |
        | traffic is generate from landuse and building
        | use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
        | traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
        | real support from the existence of real community and
        | an integrated transit system. but still we have to
        | give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
        | maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
        | we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
        | stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
        | heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
        | community in town to make it possible.
        |
        | what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
        | the car free theories but some are not practical.
        | depends on how organic the town grows.
        |
        | all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
        | first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
        | to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
        | individuals here. thank you.
        |
        | - Shahzarimin Salim
        | Johor Bahru, Malaysia

        | Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          On 31-Mar-04, at 11:39 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

          > The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
          > http://www.newcolonist.com!
          >
          > This month's features:
          >
          > (...) * A House for Every Lot, a Store for Every Corner
          > Eric Miller posits an efficient city and how it might look and
          > work in the United States....

          Reading this article equating efficiency with private ownership
          reminded me of a website I came across a while ago, which proposes a
          grand scheme called Victory Cities (TM) that WILL cure all the ills
          that our current ("obsolete") cities suffer from. The inventor of this
          scheme proposes to pack some 300 000 or more people into single 102
          storey cement+steel+glass-skinned buildings with a choice of a few
          different floor plans for already furnished (!) apartments, kitchenless
          all of them because everyone will eat in vast central cafeterias. The
          inventor of the idea is rather naively certain that since these cities
          will be privately owned by a corporation, all the messiness of
          non-privately owned cities will disappear.

          I find this vision (a new, corporate-owned Ville Radieuse) repulsive --
          but I leave it to others to draw their own conclusions.

          Here is the link:

          http://www.victorycities.com/

          Something that I find more encouraging is the website for Ecopolis, an
          Australian architecture firm that works with a philosophy based on
          environmental sustainability and human-scale architecture. Their
          website is an interesting read and has numerous examples of their
          projects, and they even have carfree.com in their links page:

          http://www.ecopolis.com.au/menu/menu.php

          Chris Miller
          Washington DC, USA
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2005
            he April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
            http://www.newcolonist.com!

            This month's features:

            • Let's Take a Stroll
            Jane Holtz Kay on the pleasures and perils of walking....
            • Windows in the Sky
            The world's paradigm of sprawl inches upward...
            • Tale of Our Urban Suburb
            Something's missing in Pittsburgh....
            • Concierge
            Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
            forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
            and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!
            • Vox Civitatis
            Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
            assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
            state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.
            And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other
            resources in our more than 500-article Archive!
            http://www.rickrise.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.living-room.org