Heritage Conservation and Car free cities...

  • Min
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
      it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
      know wether any of our car free members here have done
      such study or experience in their respective field

      traffic is generate from landuse and building
      use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
      traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
      real support from the existence of real community and
      an integrated transit system. but still we have to
      give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
      maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
      we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
      stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
      heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
      community in town to make it possible.

      what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
      the car free theories but some are not practical.
      depends on how organic the town grows.

      all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
      first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
      to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
      individuals here. thank you.

      - Shahzarimin Salim
      Johor Bahru, Malaysia

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        I will send this on to Uran Ecolgy as well; I think there are several
        people with the experience you're seeking there....

        Richard

        Min wrote:

        > hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
        > it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
        > know wether any of our car free members here have done
        > such study or experience in their respective field
        >
        > traffic is generate from landuse and building
        > use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
        > traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
        > real support from the existence of real community and
        > an integrated transit system. but still we have to
        > give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
        > maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
        > we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
        > stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
        > heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
        > community in town to make it possible.
        >
        > what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
        > the car free theories but some are not practical.
        > depends on how organic the town grows.
        >
        > all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
        > first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
        > to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
        > individuals here. thank you.
        >
        > - Shahzarimin Salim
        > Johor Bahru, Malaysia

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
        will not even be human."

        RR
      • autofrei-wohnen.de
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hi Shahzarimin Salim,

          maybe this is interesting for you, a project of Expo 2000 :
          http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/ProjekteD.html#Piesteritz, there are some links
          and a short information about.
          This is the reconstruction of an old gardencity (build in 1916 bis 1919 for
          workers of a nearby fabric) in the East of Germany, near the
          city of Wittenberg. Special: it is optically carfree for the reason of
          monumental heritage, people who live there agreed with the introduction of
          carfreeness (cars are outside of the area), and it`s the only case of a
          "carfree" housing project I know with this reason. The project leader was Astrid
          Lindstedt from "Sachsen-Anhaltinische Landesentwicklungsgesellschaft" (Saleg),
          the architect was Mr Fritz Hubert, from Munich in Bavaria/Germany.

          Today the owner of the quarter is "Piesteritzer Siedlungsgesellschaft"
          (Pieteritz housing company), see http://www.wohnen-psg.de/, contact: Mr. Gerhard
          Leske (chief), Mail: leske@..., phone: +49-3491-614715

          Markus Heller, Berlin
          http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

          | hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
          | it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
          | know wether any of our car free members here have done
          | such study or experience in their respective field
          |
          | traffic is generate from landuse and building
          | use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
          | traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
          | real support from the existence of real community and
          | an integrated transit system. but still we have to
          | give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
          | maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
          | we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
          | stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
          | heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
          | community in town to make it possible.
          |
          | what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
          | the car free theories but some are not practical.
          | depends on how organic the town grows.
          |
          | all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
          | first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
          | to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
          | individuals here. thank you.
          |
          | - Shahzarimin Salim
          | Johor Bahru, Malaysia

          | Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Christopher Miller
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
            On 31-Mar-04, at 11:39 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

            > The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
            > http://www.newcolonist.com!
            >
            > This month's features:
            >
            > (...) * A House for Every Lot, a Store for Every Corner
            > Eric Miller posits an efficient city and how it might look and
            > work in the United States....

            Reading this article equating efficiency with private ownership
            reminded me of a website I came across a while ago, which proposes a
            grand scheme called Victory Cities (TM) that WILL cure all the ills
            that our current ("obsolete") cities suffer from. The inventor of this
            scheme proposes to pack some 300 000 or more people into single 102
            storey cement+steel+glass-skinned buildings with a choice of a few
            different floor plans for already furnished (!) apartments, kitchenless
            all of them because everyone will eat in vast central cafeterias. The
            inventor of the idea is rather naively certain that since these cities
            will be privately owned by a corporation, all the messiness of
            non-privately owned cities will disappear.

            I find this vision (a new, corporate-owned Ville Radieuse) repulsive --
            but I leave it to others to draw their own conclusions.

            Here is the link:

            http://www.victorycities.com/

            Something that I find more encouraging is the website for Ecopolis, an
            Australian architecture firm that works with a philosophy based on
            environmental sustainability and human-scale architecture. Their
            website is an interesting read and has numerous examples of their
            projects, and they even have carfree.com in their links page:

            http://www.ecopolis.com.au/menu/menu.php

            Chris Miller
            Washington DC, USA
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2005
              he April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
              http://www.newcolonist.com!

              This month's features:

              • Let's Take a Stroll
              Jane Holtz Kay on the pleasures and perils of walking....
              • Windows in the Sky
              The world's paradigm of sprawl inches upward...
              • Tale of Our Urban Suburb
              Something's missing in Pittsburgh....
              • Concierge
              Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
              forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
              and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!
              • Vox Civitatis
              Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
              assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
              state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.
              And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other
              resources in our more than 500-article Archive!
              http://www.rickrise.com
              http://www.newcolonist.com
              http://www.living-room.org