April Issue of The New Colonist

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
      http://www.newcolonist.com!

      This month's features:

      * From the Bronx to Sprawl To Smart Growth
      Joel Hirschhorn traces his evolution from New York street kid to
      suburban drone to reborn urbanite....
      * Reaching for Heaven
      Richard Risemberg discovers new hope hidden in plain sight on
      corner after corner of Wilshire Boulevard in LA....
      * A House for Every Lot, a Store for Every Corner
      Eric Miller posits an efficient city and how it might look and
      work in the United States....
      * Concierge
      Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
      weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
      calculator, with more on the way!
      * Vox Civitatis
      Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
      assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
      state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

      And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
      in our more than 500-article Archive! So visit us at
      http://www.newcolonist.com and see how good life can be in the city....
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
      will not even be human."

      RR
    • Min
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
        it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
        know wether any of our car free members here have done
        such study or experience in their respective field

        traffic is generate from landuse and building
        use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
        traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
        real support from the existence of real community and
        an integrated transit system. but still we have to
        give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
        maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
        we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
        stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
        heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
        community in town to make it possible.

        what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
        the car free theories but some are not practical.
        depends on how organic the town grows.

        all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
        first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
        to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
        individuals here. thank you.

        - Shahzarimin Salim
        Johor Bahru, Malaysia

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          I will send this on to Uran Ecolgy as well; I think there are several
          people with the experience you're seeking there....

          Richard

          Min wrote:

          > hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
          > it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
          > know wether any of our car free members here have done
          > such study or experience in their respective field
          >
          > traffic is generate from landuse and building
          > use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
          > traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
          > real support from the existence of real community and
          > an integrated transit system. but still we have to
          > give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
          > maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
          > we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
          > stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
          > heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
          > community in town to make it possible.
          >
          > what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
          > the car free theories but some are not practical.
          > depends on how organic the town grows.
          >
          > all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
          > first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
          > to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
          > individuals here. thank you.
          >
          > - Shahzarimin Salim
          > Johor Bahru, Malaysia

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
          will not even be human."

          RR
        • autofrei-wohnen.de
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
            Hi Shahzarimin Salim,

            maybe this is interesting for you, a project of Expo 2000 :
            http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/ProjekteD.html#Piesteritz, there are some links
            and a short information about.
            This is the reconstruction of an old gardencity (build in 1916 bis 1919 for
            workers of a nearby fabric) in the East of Germany, near the
            city of Wittenberg. Special: it is optically carfree for the reason of
            monumental heritage, people who live there agreed with the introduction of
            carfreeness (cars are outside of the area), and it`s the only case of a
            "carfree" housing project I know with this reason. The project leader was Astrid
            Lindstedt from "Sachsen-Anhaltinische Landesentwicklungsgesellschaft" (Saleg),
            the architect was Mr Fritz Hubert, from Munich in Bavaria/Germany.

            Today the owner of the quarter is "Piesteritzer Siedlungsgesellschaft"
            (Pieteritz housing company), see http://www.wohnen-psg.de/, contact: Mr. Gerhard
            Leske (chief), Mail: leske@..., phone: +49-3491-614715

            Markus Heller, Berlin
            http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

            | hi, im doing a conservation action plan in my country,
            | it's already at its final draft phase. i just want to
            | know wether any of our car free members here have done
            | such study or experience in their respective field
            |
            | traffic is generate from landuse and building
            | use/activites. if tehre is total separation between
            | traffic and places in town, i think we need to have a
            | real support from the existence of real community and
            | an integrated transit system. but still we have to
            | give rooms for traffic. even in heritage conservation,
            | maybe we have to rechanelled the traffic system, but
            | we still let them flow in a another area. but we never
            | stop them totally. traffic give great effect to
            | heritage conservation. but we need really 'alive'
            | community in town to make it possible.
            |
            | what i see is that, only certain places can the adopt
            | the car free theories but some are not practical.
            | depends on how organic the town grows.
            |
            | all these 2 years i've been reading..and this is my
            | first post, by the way im from Malaysia and would like
            | to share opinion and experiencee with every respectful
            | individuals here. thank you.
            |
            | - Shahzarimin Salim
            | Johor Bahru, Malaysia

            | Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Christopher Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
              On 31-Mar-04, at 11:39 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

              > The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
              > http://www.newcolonist.com!
              >
              > This month's features:
              >
              > (...) * A House for Every Lot, a Store for Every Corner
              > Eric Miller posits an efficient city and how it might look and
              > work in the United States....

              Reading this article equating efficiency with private ownership
              reminded me of a website I came across a while ago, which proposes a
              grand scheme called Victory Cities (TM) that WILL cure all the ills
              that our current ("obsolete") cities suffer from. The inventor of this
              scheme proposes to pack some 300 000 or more people into single 102
              storey cement+steel+glass-skinned buildings with a choice of a few
              different floor plans for already furnished (!) apartments, kitchenless
              all of them because everyone will eat in vast central cafeterias. The
              inventor of the idea is rather naively certain that since these cities
              will be privately owned by a corporation, all the messiness of
              non-privately owned cities will disappear.

              I find this vision (a new, corporate-owned Ville Radieuse) repulsive --
              but I leave it to others to draw their own conclusions.

              Here is the link:

              http://www.victorycities.com/

              Something that I find more encouraging is the website for Ecopolis, an
              Australian architecture firm that works with a philosophy based on
              environmental sustainability and human-scale architecture. Their
              website is an interesting read and has numerous examples of their
              projects, and they even have carfree.com in their links page:

              http://www.ecopolis.com.au/menu/menu.php

              Chris Miller
              Washington DC, USA
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2005
                he April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                http://www.newcolonist.com!

                This month's features:

                • Let's Take a Stroll
                Jane Holtz Kay on the pleasures and perils of walking....
                • Windows in the Sky
                The world's paradigm of sprawl inches upward...
                • Tale of Our Urban Suburb
                Something's missing in Pittsburgh....
                • Concierge
                Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                http://www.rickrise.com
                http://www.newcolonist.com
                http://www.living-room.org