Twilight of the auto age?

  • Chris Barker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2000
      Doug wrote:

      > You're right, Mike. The auto age is approaching its twilight.

      I've read that prediction a lot here and don't understand it. Is that
      statement based on the fact that there is increasing ivolvement of people
      trying to shake the system at the grass roots level or is that statement
      based on the prediction of oil depletion? With the automobile based
      infrastructure constantly being expanded here in the U.S. I doubt that oil
      depletion alone will be responsible for the twilight of the auto age.

      Certainly the availability of dirt cheap oil to the U.S. is fast approaching
      but that alone will likely not end addiction to the automobile. Like any
      addict we will deny the real problem and continue to try and control an
      insidious and cunning foe. Perhaps a change to smaller and slower vehicles
      will result in some good but our lives will still revolve around the
      automobile.

      Chris