Studies Link Air Pollution to Heart Attacks

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2000
      =v= There's an interesting story in today's _L.A._Times_:

      http://www.latimes.com/news/front/20000605/t000053310.html

      Studies are finding a cause-and-effect relationship between air
      that's heavy in particulates and heart attacks. They're even
      starting to suspect that air pollution kills more people through
      heart attacks than through lung disease.

      =v= The main sources of particulates mentioned in the article
      are cars and trucks that use diesel fuel, industry, and "dust."
      It says "windborne dust" at one point, and "road dust" later.
      I take "road dust" to mean yet more car-originated pollution;
      one particularly bad component of this is tire dust, as was
      brought to light in 1995 by _Rachel's_weekly_:

      http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/bulletin.cfm?Issue_ID=686&bulletin_ID=48

      Particulates are also implicated in cancer.

      =v= The environmental justice movement has been focusing on
      diesel fuel for a few years now, because the folks exposed most
      heavily are disproportionately people of color. We all get a
      dose, though, and we should all work on the problem together.
      <_Jym_>