Re: [carfree_cities] Winter Biking (was Transport Infrastructure)

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2000
      Chris Barker wrote:

       >Some of the fun is experiencing the
      disbelieving looks of passing motorists.  Small children are not at all
      timid about saying how wierd I look with full balaclava and rose-tinted ski
      googles.  I like to enter the local coffee shop on weekend mornings looking
      like Darth Vader when there are a lot of little kids.  There is also a
      unique ejoyment of riding under a moonlit sky at 4:30 P.M.or in fresh snow
      fall (on studded Nokian tires, of course).   I rode across a small nearby
      lake one bright sunny Saturday morning in 5 F temperature.  It was unique
      riding among ice fishermen and skaters.

      Chris,

      Thanks for the inspiring cycling tale.  I really believe that being a high-profile cyclist motivates alot of others to try it themselves.  Nearly everybody already has a bike.  They just need a little reminder of how fun it is, then the next thing you know, they're out dusting off that seat, pumping up those tires....  I started leaving my bike out in plain view in my office a couple of weeks ago.  Since then, three patients (who always drove before) are now cycling to their appointments.

      T.J.