Re: [carfree_cities] Shell Cuts Proven Reserves 20%, Fires Officers After Coverup

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 10:44 PM
      On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Richard Risemberg wrote:

      > From the New York Times, exposé of Shell Oil's coverup of reserve
      > overestimations...all too interesting.

      Now, there's an understatement ;-)

      > Quick quote:
      >
      > > "Our reserves replacement performance over the past few years
      > > clearly illustrates the emerging problems with our resource base
      > > and is becoming a source of competitive disadvantage," the
      > > memorandum said.

      Well... unless it turns out that the competition has the same problem.

      For years, we've been hearing that the "proven reserves" numbers
      provided by European- and U.S.-domiciled companies could be treated
      much more seriously than those of certain other players (e.g. some
      OPEC members) which have been widely considered to be mere fantasy.
      More and more, it appears that a fair amount of wishful accounting has
      been going on in the "civilized" world, also.

      I'll be amazed if only one of the majors has been padding the
      inventories.

      That drop-off is getting closer, and looking steeper, all the time.

      -Doug

      --

      "Anybody who thinks we're going to be using cars twenty-five
      years from now the way we've been accustomed to using them

      -James Howard Kunstler
      Home From Nowhere

      ---
      Doug Salzmann