Re: Advertising the car free city!

  • Greg Steele
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
      I think that anything that gets too number oriented will not be as
      effective as in an advertisement as something that goes for the
      emotions. E.g. a cost analysis of car ownership verse use of
      transit, in fact this enforces the idea that transit is for those
      that cannot afford a car – making it that much more of a status
      symbol.

      I can image several approaches to the use of time as the selling
      point. A TV ad – cars sitting in traffic… closes ups of faces
      showing anger and frustration… [they are powerless]… cars are at a
      complete stand-still. One of these frustrated drivers (different
      version could show people of different age, race, gender) says out
      loud – "That's it I have better things to do with my time." He/she
      gets out of their car and walks way… leaving it in the middle of the
      highway turned parking lot, ala the REM video for "everybody hurts."
      The last five-ten seconds show this same person on a train (different
      version would show the person reading, sleeping, talking to other
      people, using a cell phone, a laptop computer, etc.)