Re: [carfree_cities] Montreal Gazette: public transit and strikes

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
      Fair wages and labor policies might be the way to address this, no? And
      an automated system can be shut down by a handful of IT workers not
      showing up.

      Subways in Japan have a crew of three on most lines: driver and one
      extra crew whose function was not evident to me in the lead cab, and
      conductor in the rear cab. This was on private, profit-making lines.

      Of course, in Japan production/management wage differentials are far
      smaller than in the US; about 1:10, as opposed to the 1:1000 ratio
      typical here for large companies. This makes for less righteous
      jealousy and fewer strikes.

      Richard

      J.H. Crawford wrote:
      > Chris Miller said:
      >

      >>Here's an important topic related to public transit, and one that Joel
      >>touches on in the _Carfree Cities_ book. If you build a carfree city,
      >>or convert a large existing city so that it needs to rely on public
      >>transit as the most effective way of moving people, how do you keep the
      >>city from being disrupted or paralysed by labor troubles? Do you need
      >>to ensure that everything is automated? Do you have to put in place
      >>special essential services legislation to cover transit workers? Since
      >>I don't know of any city anywhere with fully automated public transit,
      >>I assume this is a problem that has to be dealt with nearly anywhere.
      >

      > Fully-automated systems are now in use in Lyon and Lille. There may be
      > other examples. BART was built to run in full-automatic, and did, in fact,
      > for a while, until a couple of accidents. Today I believe there are
      > drivers in all trains, but they just watch.
      >

      > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
      an obligation; every possession, a duty."
      John D. Rockefeller, Jr.