Automated Transit

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2004
      Vancouver's SkyTrain system is a raised rapit-transit rail system (of about
      1.5-2 lines) that is fully automated.

      -RL

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:00:43 -0500
      From: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
      Subject: Montreal Gazette: public transit and strikes

      Here's an important topic related to public transit, and one that Joel
      touches on in the _Carfree Cities_ book. If you build a carfree city,
      or convert a large existing city so that it needs to rely on public
      transit as the most effective way of moving people, how do you keep the
      city from being disrupted or paralysed by labor troubles? Do you need
      to ensure that everything is automated? Do you have to put in place
      special essential services legislation to cover transit workers? Since
      I don't know of any city anywhere with fully automated public transit,
      I assume this is a problem that has to be dealt with nearly anywhere.
      How have various cities dealt with this problem?