Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Density

  • Jeremy Hubble
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
      Every 6km would work if the city was linear. However, ensuring a
      maximum of 3km walking distance poses a much greater challenge than a
      6km station interval. Also, there is the matter of travel on the other
      end. 3km + train + 3km = a very long commute. And for many people, a
      30 minute walk is too far to do on a regular basis.

      Also, the ideal car-free lifestyle revolves primarily around walking.
      For that to work, clusters of high density ammenities are needed.

      I do agree with the point of density not being the end-all solution. I
      have marveled at some of the apartment/condo/townhouse developments in
      the suburbs of Chicago. The parking lots take up more space than the
      dwellings, and everyone is cramped next to their neighbors. I knew
      somebody who lived in a development accross the street from the grocery
      store, which would seem convenient. However, there was no good way to
      cross the busy road, and she felt obligated to drive the distance. I
      compare that to some of the development within the city of Chicago.
      There, the actual density of the housing is actually less. However, the
      neighborhood is structured more in favor of walking (with more sidewalk
      space, and less 'car space'.)