Fwd: [UrbanMaglev] "Italian cities ban cars as pollution soars" Reuters 2/8 (auto smog)

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2004
      An interesting piece from the Yahoo Urban Maglev list today.
      UrbanMaglev is a pretty interesting group itself: it often has
      discussions that overlap with our interests on CarfreeCities, but if
      you join, be warned: there are several members who are touting their
      own technologies, and this has led to a number of, how shall I put it,
      *spirited* discussions over the past couple of weeks... There have,
      however, been a number of postings quite relevant to carfree cities and
      transportation over the past few days, including the one I've forwarded
      to the list.

      Chris Miller
      Washington DC, USA

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: MagNews <clew@...>
      > Date: 12 February 2004 2:02:48 AM GMT-05:00
      > To: UrbanMaglev@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [UrbanMaglev] "Italian cities ban cars as pollution soars"
      > Reuters 2/8 (auto smog)
      >
      > ROME, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Authorities banned traffic on Sunday from more
      > than 100 towns and cities across Italy, including Rome and Milan, in
      > an
      > effort to cut growing pollution levels, city officials said.
      >
      > Partial blocks on cars and lorries have already been imposed in recent
      > days in many places after health departments warned that prolonged
      > calm
      > weather had allowed smog to build.
      >
      > With no improvement in sight, mayors decided they had to force car-mad
      > Italians off the roads with a one-day ban.
      >
      > "We had no alternative," newspapers quoted Rome mayor Walter Veltroni
      > as saying.
      >
      > "We now have new (pollution) limits imposed on us by the regions who
      > are following European norms and the weather conditions are not
      > helping
      > to disperse the smog."
      >
      > All non-essential traffic was banned from the inner-Rome area from
      > 10.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m (0900-1600 GMT).
      >
      > However, Environment Minister Altero Matteoli said the one-day ban
      > would have little impact and said an alternative solution was to
      > encourage people to scrap their old cars and scooters and buy more
      > environmentally-friendly vehicles.
      >
      > "Forcing people to walk once in a while is of little use," he said in
      > an interview with Il Messaggero newspaper.
      >
      > http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L07193742.htm
      >
      > Italian cities ban cars as pollution soars
      (...)