Pentagon Prepares for Global-WArming Induced Social Chaos

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      A quote:

      > The Pentagon's reaction to this sobering report isn't known—in keeping with his reputation for reticence, Andy Marshall declined to be interviewed. But the fact that he's concerned may signal a sea change in the debate about global warming. At least some federal thought leaders may be starting to perceive climate change less as a political annoyance and more as an issue demanding action.
      >
      > If so, the case for acting now to address climate change, long a hard sell in Washington, may be gaining influential support, if only behind the scenes. Policymakers may even be emboldened to take steps such as tightening fuel-economy standards for new passenger vehicles, a measure that would simultaneously lower emissions of greenhouse gases, reduce America's perilous reliance on OPEC oil, cut its trade deficit, and put money in consumers' pockets.

      And a link:

      http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,582584,00.html
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
      an obligation; every possession, a duty."
      John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
    • hcfdave
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg
        <rickrise@e...> wrote:
        > A quote:
        >
        > > "The Pentagon's reaction to this sobering report isn't
        known—in keeping with his reputation for reticence, Andy
        Marshall declined to be interviewed. But the fact that he's
        concerned may signal a sea change in the debate about global
        warming. At least some federal thought leaders may be starting
        to perceive climate change less as a political annoyance and
        more as an issue demanding action."

        my take on this:
        ---Typical corporate dictatorship response. When confronted
        with a problem they pay quick lip service to it , then decline even
        to be interviewed, and continue their genocidal actions. We
        must work for reform of the electoral system, to preclude
        completely incompetent jokers from becoming president even
        though they are not supported by a majority of the people.
        THAT is the main fight- it is crucial; until this problem is fixed
        we shall keep seeing this happen again and again, and the
        'religious right' will keep us on the path to their beloved
        armageddon. All the while getting into bigger and nastier cars,
        murdering more and more cyclists.

        DaveS