Photo site, again

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2004
      Hi All,

      The photo site has been further improved, although it's still beta.
      An extensive category listing has been added.

      That address again:

      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/

      but please take it easy for another few weeks, due to traffic constraints.
      So far, it's been ok, so if nobody takes more than twice as many images
      as they did the first time, it should be fine.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

    • Patrick J McDonough
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2004
        I know I'm dabbling in the realm of the highly unlikely here, but if one
        could construct a greenfield carfree development along a rail line that
        was going to open in the next 10-20 years, even in a very auto-oriented
        place, how small could it be and still stand a chance of getting a
        critical mass to support itself?

        I'm thinking in terms of local retail, etc.? Would 50 acres do at the 1.5
        FAR? 30? Or do we need to go higher? (I'm working from Crawford's
        reference district idea here)

        Patrick McDonough
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2004
          It's an interesting and difficult question to answer. It depends in
          part on whether it's an urban or rural rail line. If urban, then I
          think 30-50 acres is enough; if rural, maybe double that. But
          it depends so much on circumstances, especially the matter of the
          local economy, that I don't think you can really establish a firm
          guideline. I think you have to assess it case-by-case. The first
          question has to be, how do people earn their living?

          Regards,

          >I know I'm dabbling in the realm of the highly unlikely here, but if one
          >could construct a greenfield carfree development along a rail line that
          >was going to open in the next 10-20 years, even in a very auto-oriented
          >place, how small could it be and still stand a chance of getting a
          >critical mass to support itself?
          >
          >I'm thinking in terms of local retail, etc.? Would 50 acres do at the 1.5
          >FAR? 30? Or do we need to go higher? (I'm working from Crawford's
          >reference district idea here)
          >
          >Patrick McDonough

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          -- ### --

        • Erik Rauch
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2004
            I noticed that the city the photo was taken in can be determined by
            comparing the three letters in the filename with the list of cities
            (e.g. 'brg' = 'Brig').

            On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, J.H. Crawford wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > The photo site has been further improved, although it's still beta.
            > An extensive category listing has been added.
            >
            > That address again:
            >
            > http://www.carfree.com/cpix/
            >
            > but please take it easy for another few weeks, due to traffic constraints.
            > So far, it's been ok, so if nobody takes more than twice as many images
            > as they did the first time, it should be fine.
            >
            > Regards,
            >

            > -- ### --
            >
            > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
            > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Christopher Miller
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 29, 2004
              I am guessing that some of the pictures in the photo site will be
              making it into the next book as examples of approaches to building
              humane urban environments. Browsing through a couple of the
              categories, I noticed the collection of pictures of the Canal- or
              river-side street or 'rio'. One example of this that seemed to have no
              counterpart in the pictures is the Oude Gracht ("Old Canal") in
              Utrecht. What is special about the Oude Gracht, or sections of the
              canal, is that the canal-side street/walk is taken up with restaurants
              and boutiques that occupy the old loading cellars of buildings behind
              them: these former cellars are built below the actual urban street on
              which the city buildings are themselves located. The distinction in
              grade between the regular street and the canal-side walk sets the canal
              of as an almost valley-like special environment, an effect that I found
              particularly pleasant when I was there. There are probably not many
              places that have this kind of feature (though I have seen grade
              separation with regular parallel streets in some places); it is
              something interesting that could probably be applied successfully
              elsewhere given the right circumstances. Something like this could even
              be done with a large public park or square, recessed below normal
              street level, and lined on one or more sides by park-side streets with
              shops and cafés appropriate to the park itself. Here is a link to a
              (not very good) picture of the Oude Gracht, for those who have never
              seen it:

              http://www.mitland.nl/hotel/utrecht/tour_utrecht_e.htm#05

              Here is a nice pair of pictures comparing the Oude Gracht in its
              utilitarian days with its current appearance, near the Town Hall
              (dignified large building in the background, slightly to the right*):

              http://www.rootsinholland.com/emigr/oudegracht.htm

              As the text says in part, the Oude Gracht is not only an attractive old
              canal twisting through downtown, but it is also *the* place to go to
              enjoy a drink on a terrasse or to take a tour of the city (which
              confirms how attractive it is to Utrecht residents and others).

              Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any better pictures on the
              web, but for the benefit of the very few list members who happen to
              live in Montreal, there is a very nice picture in the window of the
              photo shop in the north-east corner of Berri-UQAM metro station, just
              next to the STM public office, on the way to Place Dupuis.

              *This is to be contrasted with the new, renovated Town Hall: I don't
              know if they are the same building or what or if my knowledge of Dutch
              is not up to scratch, but the modern Town Hall is a building of a type
              that receives fulsome praise in certain architectural picture
              magazines. For those willing to take the plunge and evaluate this type
              of architecture for themselves, here is a link (I recommend taking a
              deep breath before looking):

              http://www.mitland.nl/hotel/utrecht/tour_utrecht_e.htm#07

              Chris Miller
              Washington DC, USA

              On 28 Jan 2004, at 9:24 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > The photo site has been further improved, although it's still beta.
              > An extensive category listing has been added.

              > (...)

              ----------

              ----------

              ¶ Christopher Miller
              http://linguistics.gallaudet.edu/miller.html

              ¶ Department of Linguistics
              ¶ (Dawes House 203)
              ¶ Gallaudet University
              ¶ 800 Florida Avenue NE
              ¶ Washington DC 20002
              ¶ USA

              ¶ +1 202 651-5674 (voice/TTY/fax)
              christopher.miller@...

              ¶ Home:

              ¶ 4512 32nd Street
              ¶ Mount Rainier MD 20712
              ¶ USA

              ¶ +1 202 203-8664 (mobile)
              christophermiller@...
              ¶ (miller.christopher@... - expiring soon)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
                Somewhere in the postcard section there's a shot of it.
                I know it, as my publisheer is in Utrecht. It's cool!

                mailbox@... Carfree.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
                  Oh, yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. I'll post
                  a list of the codes when I get back to Amsterdam.

                  Thanks, Erik, for pointing this out.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
                    Forgive the malicious humor, but I hope you're referring to the Oude
                    Gracht and not the renovated Stadhuis (town Hall)!

                    Chris Miller

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
                      Definitely the Oude Gracht; the photo is +/- 100 years old!

                      > Forgive the malicious humor, but I hope you're referring to the Oude
                      > Gracht and not the renovated Stadhuis (town Hall)!
                      >
                      > Chris Miller
                      >
                      > On 30 Jan 2004, at 7:20 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:
                      >
                      > > Somewhere in the postcard section there's a shot of it.
                      > > I know it, as my publisheer is in Utrecht. It's cool!
                      >

                      > ----------
                      >

                      > ----------
                      >

                      > ¶ Christopher Miller
                      > ¶ http://linguistics.gallaudet.edu/miller.html
                      > ¶
                      > ¶ Department of Linguistics
                      > ¶ (Dawes House 203)
                      > ¶ Gallaudet University
                      > ¶ 800 Florida Avenue NE
                      > ¶ Washington DC 20002
                      > ¶ USA
                      > ¶
                      > ¶ +1 202 651-5674 (voice/TTY/fax)
                      > ¶ christopher.miller@...
                      > ¶
                      > ¶ Home:
                      > ¶
                      > ¶ 4512 32nd Street
                      > ¶ Mount Rainier MD 20712
                      > ¶ USA
                      > ¶
                      > ¶ +1 202 203-8664 (mobile)
                      > ¶ christophermiller@...
                      > ¶ (miller.christopher@... - expiring soon)

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      -- ### --

                      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                      mailbox@... Carfree.com
                    • paulparma
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                        A few points that I think are important regarding these new photos

                        Good photos are important to our cause. J. H. has a talent I think,
                        and good equipment, but its more important than just to salesmanship.
                        How we react to a visual setting (which may or may not include
                        people) along with, pardon me, the whole picture, audio, smells,
                        wind, rain, temp, sun.... is a big part of what will attract many
                        people to carfree areas in the US; and why people pay so dearly to
                        live in San Fransico or NYC, and why Disney World is not a drive
                        through park, yet people fly to the oterwise most uniteresting region
                        of Florida.

                        although what Nikos A. Salingaros has done so far is interesting and
                        possible necessary, has anyone considered using congitive models to
                        describe how we relate to a carfree city environment vs a car
                        saturated one? is any grad student interested?

                        A while back J.H. asked the group why might some of his then new
                        pictures of southern Europe seemed to not compress as well as
                        others. I thought he was leading us on, since given his web
                        development experience he probably knows that greater the spread of
                        spatial variations in a picture, luminesance or hue or color over
                        frequency the greater the data size per pixel. It got me to
                        thinking as to how our brain reacts to an alley in Siena vs a major
                        Blvd in LA.

                        Well from a top down view, i can say that you would have to specify
                        which alley in Siena, and maybe what time, whatwas the weather like,
                        etc. But i don;t have to specify which blvd in LA, hell, I dont even
                        haveto specify LA, any blvd in te US developed after 1950 will be te
                        same experience, only need to specify what is playing on my stereo.
                        Weather in the US is not that important when lived in a car and at
                        home.

                        I only spent a month in Dursoduro, Venice but i ts all it took for me
                        to recognize every #$%&# one the new dursoduro picts, except a cople
                        hat I suspect are from anoteher sestere. Each spot is unique in this
                        world, maybe the universe.

                        Happens all the time. I'll be looking at some newly discovered photo
                        book of Venice and I'll discover, I know that little spot. It
                        probably happens yto you regarding central Paris, London, etc..

                        I'll stop here except to say thanks to J.H. fr posting these new
                        picts, and agan to say in my opinion, his are the best photos I've
                        seen for their purpose, and I presume are all taken from a standing
                        position and not on a boom, etc.. And now we know why its called
                        Parma yellow. And the world needs more pictures of medievial Siena
                        away from the famous main piazza, thanks for including them, I'd been
                        thanking of enquiring when J.H. would visit Siena for more pictures,
                        not knowing he had some we hadn't seen.

                        And again is anyone interested in taking leadership in analyzing
                        reactions of cognitive models to different urban environments? Has
                        it been addressed to some extent to date?

                        Paul Parma
                      • paulparma
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>
                          wrote:

                          > It's an interesting and difficult question to answer.
                          > The first
                          > question has to be, how do people earn their living?

                          Seems like this will be a ubiquitous problem in retrofitting within
                          existing cities. Working this out in cookbook form could prove
                          profitable later.

                          So in a case by case hypothetical answer to that question - how do
                          people earn their living [there]? - what are the ramifications to
                          each answer? Understand that doing so is time consuming.....

                          Which begs another question; How many folks out there are commiting
                          themselves to getting carfree blocks, districts or cities
                          built. 'Not just interested in it but commited to it!?? Just
                          curious... Obviously Joel is.

                          Paul Parma