Citroen C2 GT

  • Simon at Public Policy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
      The new Citroen C2 GT saloon car is being poster advertised (with web
      back-up) as an "urban sports car". I am seeing small posters for a
      streamlined bright red car outside lots of shops in Handsworth and other
      densely populated inner suburbs in Birmingham (UK).

      As an urban cyclist and walker I am angered by an ad that touts urban
      driving as sporty. I've complained about it and its web based back-up to the
      Advertising Standards Authority.

      Lengthier descriptions on the web emphasise the internal safety features of
      this model. The combined emphasis on sportiness and safety for driver and
      passengers encourages drivers of the Citroen C2 GT to invest their enhanced
      safety in speed.

      This car could be seen as being marketed to people who seek pleasure from
      rat-running through urban residential roads. It's the small posters
      displayed in this inner suburban area with 50% non-car owning citizens but
      many young people who place a high value on driving. It is clear these ads
      are directed at keen young would-be drivers who are too often the
      perpetrators of speeding offences.

      Anyone else who has seen this poster or even better has a picture of it can
      submit a complaint about it to the advertising standards authority:

      http://www.asa.org.uk/newcomplainbnm/

      Regards

      Simon Baddeley
      34 Beaudesert Road