Re: [carfree_cities] Noise Pollution

  • Simon at Public Policy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
      I like Venice for its lack of cars but the volume of motorised water traffic
      hardly makes it quiet, though of course you can find delightfully serene
      back alleyways and canals. You can regularly hear the roar of aircraft
      taking off from Marco Polo airport through which enormous numbers of
      tourists (like me) pass.

      I agree though with the concept as I suspect it will show correlations with
      property values showing who loses out when it comes to being exposed to
      noise.

      Simon

      On 16/1/04 6:16 pm, "Chris Loyd" <tybalt@...> wrote:

      >> "Allowing eyes to see what ears hear, the maps will show Europe as
      >> never before.
      >
      > It will be especially instructive to show the location of freeways,
      > airports, sports stadiums during soccer games, and so forth, on these maps.
      > If places like Venice and Zermatt stand out in terms of overall quietness,
      > that's something advocates could really hold up as yet one more reason why
      > carfree cities are desirable.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Simon at Public Policy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
        The new Citroen C2 GT saloon car is being poster advertised (with web
        back-up) as an "urban sports car". I am seeing small posters for a
        streamlined bright red car outside lots of shops in Handsworth and other
        densely populated inner suburbs in Birmingham (UK).

        As an urban cyclist and walker I am angered by an ad that touts urban
        driving as sporty. I've complained about it and its web based back-up to the
        Advertising Standards Authority.

        Lengthier descriptions on the web emphasise the internal safety features of
        this model. The combined emphasis on sportiness and safety for driver and
        passengers encourages drivers of the Citroen C2 GT to invest their enhanced
        safety in speed.

        This car could be seen as being marketed to people who seek pleasure from
        rat-running through urban residential roads. It's the small posters
        displayed in this inner suburban area with 50% non-car owning citizens but
        many young people who place a high value on driving. It is clear these ads
        are directed at keen young would-be drivers who are too often the
        perpetrators of speeding offences.

        Anyone else who has seen this poster or even better has a picture of it can
        submit a complaint about it to the advertising standards authority:

        http://www.asa.org.uk/newcomplainbnm/

        Regards

        Simon Baddeley
        34 Beaudesert Road