"Going nowhere, fast"

  • fredrikbreivald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2004
      Did anyone else see this program on The Discovery Times channel last
      night? I missed the first half but knowing the Discovery Channel
      they'll show it another 300 times this month.

      It was about traffic congestion and what is being done about it. I was
      exited when I saw the title and description of the show in the guide,
      but I found it pretty disapointing. The part I saw only focused on
      near-term imporvements to driving conditions (high occupancy vehicle
      (HOV) lanes , high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, traffic managment
      centers, etc.) and not on alternatives to driving itself. They kept
      demonstrating how frustrating and wasteful car usage is, but always
      stopped short of taking the logical step to what I think we all agree
      is the obvious solution. In fact I don't think they even mentioned
      public transportation at all (again I only saw the last half). It even
      featured one talking head saying that the only solution is increased
      road capacity.

      Fredrik