Term Paper Books

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2004
      Two suggestions for you:

      1. The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. Written in
      1961 it was extremely insightful, and still very relevant today. I found it
      to be a bit of a heavy read in some places.

      2. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. It's not about roads and
      transportation, so it's more of an optional read. As a supporting theme,
      the author describes how cheap transportation and highways have allowed the
      proliferation of fast food joints and changed various processes of food
      production along the way. I haven't finished it yet, but I've definitely
      been impressed with the connections made between auto-based transportation,
      the built environment and profits.

      -RL

      From: "madhatter798" <madhatter798@...>
      Subject: term paper

      hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
      on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
      free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
      possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
      appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
      suggest some sources.

      thanks,
      --Justin