Re: [carfree_cities] term paper

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
      Robert J. Matter wrote:
      >madhatter798 wrote:
      > >
      > > hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
      > > on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
      > > free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
      > > possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
      > > appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
      > > suggest some sources.
      > >
      > > thanks,
      > > --Justin
      >
      >_Asphalt Nation_ by Jane Holtz Kay
      >
      >_Geography of Nowhere_ by James Howard Kunstler

      Since this is a history paper, a few other books that might be of interest
      to you are "Divided Highways" by Tom Lewis and "Getting There" by Stephen B.
      Goddard.

      Till later, Andrew Dawson

      http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca
    • Jeremy Hubble
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
        Divorce Your Car by Kate Alvord - it's actually not as biased as it
        sounds.
        Breaking Gridlock - Jim Montavalli - published by Sierra club. It's
        not as well written as some of the other books, (and can be rather week
        in areas) However, it does have a good bibliography. He spends time
        describing transportation systems in various areas, along with some
        history of the transporation systems and how they have become difficult
        to implement do the car-centric nature of the cities.

        The Pig and the Skyscraper: Chicago: A History of Our Future
        by Marco D'Eramo - An Italian's take on Chicago and the US in general.
        There are some really good sections describing the development of the
        US, and its focus on highways especially in comparison to Europe.

        Zuckermann, Wolfgang
        End of the Road: From World Car Crisis to Sustainable Transportation
        - very thorough, though somewhat dated.

        The link below has plenty of 'car-free' resources.
        http://www.carfree.com/print.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
          madhatter798 wrote:

          > hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
          > on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
          > free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
          > possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
          > appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
          > suggest some sources.

          As always, Todd Litman's Victoria Transport Policy Institute has a
          wealth of information. http://www.vtpi.org

          Also, Kenneth T. Jackson's book "Crabgrass Frontier" is extremely
          valuable--can't recommend it highly enough. Pertains directly to your
          thesis subject. Should be in the library, especially if you have access
          to a university library, but order it from a bookstore if you must.

          Richard
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
          an obligation; every possession, a duty."
          John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
        • Robert J. Matter
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
            The poor kid only has to write a term paper and we've given him enough references to write a doctoral thesis. -RJM
          • Christopher Miller
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
              Hi,

              I could suggest a very interesting book I came across just last weekend:

              Alex Marshall (2000)
              How cities work: suburbs, sprawl, and the roads not taken
              Austin: University of Texas Press, 2000, xxvi+243 pp.
              ISBN 0-292-75240-7
              Library call number HT166.M259 2000

              The author begins the book with a stinging critique of N(ew)
              U(rbanism), calling it business as usual suburban development that is
              only superficially different from what came before. (Very interesting
              comparisons of New Urbanist developments and traditional old towns
              here.) He goes on to argue that *everything* else in urban design
              depends ultimately on the kinds of transportation infrastructure that
              are chosen. Much of the rest of the book goes on to demonstrate this by
              looking at the form (and the problems) of numerous cities across the US
              and compares the US situation with Europe and elsewhere. He ends the
              book by emphasising that any changes to the route urban form has taken
              have to start with public, i.e. government-level decision-making, since
              the basic infrastructure level decisions (and spending power) are
              beyond the private sector.

              Copious notes with references to sources for each chapter, plus a
              fairly respectable list of selected references at the end of the book.
              This is probably one you definitely should look at.

              Another book that is complementary to this, and covers much of the same
              ground from a somewhat different perspective, is:

              Moshie Safdie (with Wendy Cohn) (1997)
              The city after the automobile: an architect's vision
              Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1997, xii+187 pp.
              ISBN 0-8133-3545-0
              (No library call number given in this book but it would probably not be
              far from the first one in the stacks...)

              Safdie acknowledges the importance of transportation decisions on urban
              design but brings his architect's perspective to describe other kinds
              of design decisions having to do with other functions of space (beyond
              transportation) that affect the form cities can take, and illustrates
              how he has tried to deal with these questions with several of his own
              urban design projects. An interesting book to read along with the first
              one for the purposes of comparison.
              Best of luck with your research!

              Chris Miller
              Washington DC, USA

              >> hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
              >> on modern highways and how they affected city design.
              (...)
              >> I would
              >> appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
              >> suggest some sources.
            • madhatter798
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
                thanks for all the sources. this will help a lot.

                --Justin