term paper

  • madhatter798
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6 8:06 PM
      hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
      on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
      free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
      possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
      appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
      suggest some sources.

      thanks,
      --Justin
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6 8:29 PM
        madhatter798 wrote:

        > hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
        > on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
        > free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
        > possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
        > appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
        > suggest some sources.
        >
        > thanks,
        > --Justin

        _Asphalt Nation_ by Jane Holtz Kay

        _Geography of Nowhere_ by James Howard Kunstler

        -Bob Matter
        -----------
        Chicagoland Folding Bike Society
        http://www.geocities.com/rjmatter/
        Dedicated to the promotion of folding bicycles
        and enhancement of the folding bike experience.
      • Andrew Dawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6 10:09 PM
          Robert J. Matter wrote:
          >madhatter798 wrote:
          > >
          > > hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
          > > on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
          > > free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
          > > possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
          > > appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
          > > suggest some sources.
          > >
          > > thanks,
          > > --Justin
          >
          >_Asphalt Nation_ by Jane Holtz Kay
          >
          >_Geography of Nowhere_ by James Howard Kunstler

          Since this is a history paper, a few other books that might be of interest
          to you are "Divided Highways" by Tom Lewis and "Getting There" by Stephen B.
          Goddard.

          Till later, Andrew Dawson

          http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca
        • Jeremy Hubble
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6 10:14 PM
            Divorce Your Car by Kate Alvord - it's actually not as biased as it
            sounds.
            Breaking Gridlock - Jim Montavalli - published by Sierra club. It's
            not as well written as some of the other books, (and can be rather week
            in areas) However, it does have a good bibliography. He spends time
            describing transportation systems in various areas, along with some
            history of the transporation systems and how they have become difficult
            to implement do the car-centric nature of the cities.

            The Pig and the Skyscraper: Chicago: A History of Our Future
            by Marco D'Eramo - An Italian's take on Chicago and the US in general.
            There are some really good sections describing the development of the
            US, and its focus on highways especially in comparison to Europe.

            Zuckermann, Wolfgang
            End of the Road: From World Car Crisis to Sustainable Transportation
            - very thorough, though somewhat dated.

            The link below has plenty of 'car-free' resources.
            http://www.carfree.com/print.html

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6 11:16 PM
              madhatter798 wrote:

              > hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
              > on modern highways and how they affected city design. I support car-
              > free cities, but I would like to make this essay as unbiased as
              > possible. I'm having trouble finding good sources, so I would
              > appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
              > suggest some sources.

              As always, Todd Litman's Victoria Transport Policy Institute has a
              wealth of information. http://www.vtpi.org

              Also, Kenneth T. Jackson's book "Crabgrass Frontier" is extremely
              valuable--can't recommend it highly enough. Pertains directly to your
              thesis subject. Should be in the library, especially if you have access
              to a university library, but order it from a bookstore if you must.

              Richard
              http://www.living-room.org
              http://www.newcolonist.com

              "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
              an obligation; every possession, a duty."
              John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
            • Robert J. Matter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7 12:44 AM
                The poor kid only has to write a term paper and we've given him enough references to write a doctoral thesis. -RJM
              • Christopher Miller
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7 12:38 PM
                  Hi,

                  I could suggest a very interesting book I came across just last weekend:

                  Alex Marshall (2000)
                  How cities work: suburbs, sprawl, and the roads not taken
                  Austin: University of Texas Press, 2000, xxvi+243 pp.
                  ISBN 0-292-75240-7
                  Library call number HT166.M259 2000

                  The author begins the book with a stinging critique of N(ew)
                  U(rbanism), calling it business as usual suburban development that is
                  only superficially different from what came before. (Very interesting
                  comparisons of New Urbanist developments and traditional old towns
                  here.) He goes on to argue that *everything* else in urban design
                  depends ultimately on the kinds of transportation infrastructure that
                  are chosen. Much of the rest of the book goes on to demonstrate this by
                  looking at the form (and the problems) of numerous cities across the US
                  and compares the US situation with Europe and elsewhere. He ends the
                  book by emphasising that any changes to the route urban form has taken
                  have to start with public, i.e. government-level decision-making, since
                  the basic infrastructure level decisions (and spending power) are
                  beyond the private sector.

                  Copious notes with references to sources for each chapter, plus a
                  fairly respectable list of selected references at the end of the book.
                  This is probably one you definitely should look at.

                  Another book that is complementary to this, and covers much of the same
                  ground from a somewhat different perspective, is:

                  Moshie Safdie (with Wendy Cohn) (1997)
                  The city after the automobile: an architect's vision
                  Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1997, xii+187 pp.
                  ISBN 0-8133-3545-0
                  (No library call number given in this book but it would probably not be
                  far from the first one in the stacks...)

                  Safdie acknowledges the importance of transportation decisions on urban
                  design but brings his architect's perspective to describe other kinds
                  of design decisions having to do with other functions of space (beyond
                  transportation) that affect the form cities can take, and illustrates
                  how he has tried to deal with these questions with several of his own
                  urban design projects. An interesting book to read along with the first
                  one for the purposes of comparison.
                  Best of luck with your research!

                  Chris Miller
                  Washington DC, USA

                  >> hi. I'm a high school student about to start a 10-page history paper
                  >> on modern highways and how they affected city design.
                  (...)
                  >> I would
                  >> appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or
                  >> suggest some sources.
                • madhatter798
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 14 10:49 AM
                    thanks for all the sources. this will help a lot.

                    --Justin