Re: [carfree_cities] night trucking (was Interesting)

  • Tom Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      I live in an area near several roads that have pretty much round the
      clock traffic, both freight and normal commuters.

      The noise is non-stop. The traffic noise from a freeway about 3/4 miles
      away from where I live is probably less intense than, say, an air
      conditioning unit running on the next house when you have the windows
      open, but it's enough to be somewhat annoying.

      The interesting part of this is that the noise from a freeway about 3/4
      mile away can drown out a car travelling at around 30 mph about 40 feet
      away. Large trucks have a quite distinct roar to their movement once
      they get to about 45.

      Many expressways here are now getting those huge tall noise barrier
      walls, which I consider to be more of a curse than a blessing; on I-95
      where it passes north of Miami, the walls were installed almost right up
      to the edge of the road, leaving no safe place for a disabled vehicle to
      be moved off the roadway! In addition, the only openings provided in
      these walls are just large enough to pass a 8" firehose through, leaving
      no means for someone to step off the roadway after an accident or
      breakdown.

      I believe that major highways like this should not enter or cross urban
      areas, except perhaps in warehouse/industrial districts. I've heard
      people complain that major highways bypass cities, but it's better for
      vehicle traffic to have to get off and pass into the city at lower speeds.

      --
      High Prince Crashalot of the Holy Order of Multiball Madness, Suburban
      Warrior of Disarray, Master of the Lost Circuit Collective, Member of the

      Also known to the unenlightened as Tom Morris, KG4CYX

      Engineer of death and destruction, WDGR 1600 AM, Kendall

      Discordian Code V1.3 ( http://www.23ae.com/format/discordiancode/code13.html )
      DADA/DO Tpcy c s+:+ a-- Comp+++ P++ E++ F+ R+ tv+ b++ OM5 RAW? DC+ e* h! r
      !ys K+++

      Uniform Disinformation Locator: http://blueneon.xidus.net

      * Do not use this signature as toilet paper *
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hi All,

        I'm appalled by this proposal to run thousands of heavy trucks through
        central LA at night. Isn't the place already noisy enough, all the time?
        I know from my own experience that you can hear a busy freeway
        (I-95, MassPike) from MILES away if the breeze is from it to you.

        Why doesn't the city simply REQUIRE the use of the Alameda corridor
        rail link for getting these containers from the coast to inland areas?

        It is as if these externalities (noise, unnecessary pollution compared
        to railing) just don't count.

        Regards,

        -- ### --