night trucking (was Interesting)

  • dubluth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      Thanks for forwarding another interesting article, Richard.

      The economy seems to be more "around the clock" with an increased
      share of the workforce working on evening and grave yard shifts. Two
      transportation related companies I've worked for, UPS and USPS, do all
      or a large part of their sorting on the shifts preceding the day
      shift, which is when delivery to customers takes place. I've never
      prefered to work the evening or night shifts.

      I'm curious how shifting truck traffic to the night would affect the
      urban environment. Freeway traffic is the major source of urban
      noise. The nightly reprieve from this noise may vanish as freight
      traffic fills the highways and thoroughfares during the off peak
      hours.

      bill
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@e..
      .> wrote:

      <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-port3jan03,1,4291965.story?
      coll=la-headlines-california>
    • Tom Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
        I live in an area near several roads that have pretty much round the
        clock traffic, both freight and normal commuters.

        The noise is non-stop. The traffic noise from a freeway about 3/4 miles
        away from where I live is probably less intense than, say, an air
        conditioning unit running on the next house when you have the windows
        open, but it's enough to be somewhat annoying.

        The interesting part of this is that the noise from a freeway about 3/4
        mile away can drown out a car travelling at around 30 mph about 40 feet
        away. Large trucks have a quite distinct roar to their movement once
        they get to about 45.

        Many expressways here are now getting those huge tall noise barrier
        walls, which I consider to be more of a curse than a blessing; on I-95
        where it passes north of Miami, the walls were installed almost right up
        to the edge of the road, leaving no safe place for a disabled vehicle to
        be moved off the roadway! In addition, the only openings provided in
        these walls are just large enough to pass a 8" firehose through, leaving
        no means for someone to step off the roadway after an accident or
        breakdown.

        I believe that major highways like this should not enter or cross urban
        areas, except perhaps in warehouse/industrial districts. I've heard
        people complain that major highways bypass cities, but it's better for
        vehicle traffic to have to get off and pass into the city at lower speeds.

        --
        High Prince Crashalot of the Holy Order of Multiball Madness, Suburban
        Warrior of Disarray, Master of the Lost Circuit Collective, Member of the

        Also known to the unenlightened as Tom Morris, KG4CYX

        Engineer of death and destruction, WDGR 1600 AM, Kendall

        Discordian Code V1.3 ( http://www.23ae.com/format/discordiancode/code13.html )
        DADA/DO Tpcy c s+:+ a-- Comp+++ P++ E++ F+ R+ tv+ b++ OM5 RAW? DC+ e* h! r
        !ys K+++

        Uniform Disinformation Locator: http://blueneon.xidus.net

        * Do not use this signature as toilet paper *
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi All,

          I'm appalled by this proposal to run thousands of heavy trucks through
          central LA at night. Isn't the place already noisy enough, all the time?
          I know from my own experience that you can hear a busy freeway
          (I-95, MassPike) from MILES away if the breeze is from it to you.

          Why doesn't the city simply REQUIRE the use of the Alameda corridor
          rail link for getting these containers from the coast to inland areas?

          It is as if these externalities (noise, unnecessary pollution compared
          to railing) just don't count.

          Regards,

          -- ### --