Re: Living with Driving

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2004
      > Positive, but changeable. Do you think that people are going to
      > drive the
      > same amount, and consume the same amount of gas (legally) at
      > $15/gallon?
      > These external costs would change when the amount of gas consumed is
      > change.
      > Would you then change the gas tax to reflect these lower external
      > costs?
      > Adjust yearly?

      People would not drive as much if the price of gasoline were increased
      significantly. But we need to reduce the amount of fossil fuel burning
      to the minimum amount possible. This is because greenhouse gases from
      oil, coal and natural gas hang in the atmosphere for upwards of 120
      years.

      The effects of accumulating greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are
      cumulative. Over time, the impacts from more and more fossil fuel
      burning throughout the world will continue to worsen; extreme weather
      events fed by global warming become more common. It might be necessary
      to raise the price of fuel even more to account for the worsening
      marginal costs of global warming.

      http://www.environmentaldefense.org/documents/382_myths.htm

      Mike Neuman

      "Global warming is unpleasant news. The costs of doing something
      substantial to arrest it are daunting, but the consequences of not doing
      anything are staggering."

      - Jerry Mahlman, senior atmospheric research scientist

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Chris Loyd
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 8, 2004
        > This is because greenhouse gases from
        > oil, coal and natural gas hang in the atmosphere for upwards of 120
        > years.

        If this source is believable, the 120-year lifespan applies only to Nitrous oxide. Other chemicals have different lifespans.

        a.. CO2 duration stay is variable (approx 200-450 years) and its global warming potential (GWP) is defined as 1.
        a.. Methane duration stay is of 12.2 +/- 3 years and a GWP of 22 (meaning that it has 22 times the warming ability of carbon dioxide),
        a.. Nitrous oxide has a duration stay of 120 years and a GWP of 310

        http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

        They claim that their source is the GIEC (Groupe d'Experts Intergouvernnemental sur l'Evolution du Climat).

        > Over time, the impacts from more and more fossil fuel
        > burning throughout the world will continue to worsen; extreme weather
        > events fed by global warming become more common. It might be necessary
        > to raise the price of fuel even more to account for the worsening
        > marginal costs of global warming.

        The tax on fuel can only go so high before consumption of it drops to the point where increasing the tax leads to decreasing revenues from that tax. If the price of gas was so high that most people couldn't afford it, then it would cease to be a point of concern. Isn't that the point of the Hubbert Peak -- that gas would become so expensive that people couldn't afford it anymore?