Compare the Scare

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2003
      The following article talks about heightened awareness of terrorism
      for mass transit systems, but it looks to me like awareness is
      already too heightened, because it is in the political or economic
      interest of certain groups to emphasize it. I think Americans tend
      to be overly-paranoid about this, just as they are about other
      violent crime. Even though the US is on the high end of the scale
      among developed nations for crime death and injury, when you put it
      in perspective, the threats of crime and terrorism here are fairly
      insignificant. For example, in the printed edition of the Houston
      Chronicle yesterday, I counted two new crime-related deaths, one of
      which was a police officer shooting a fleeing robber, but five deaths
      from automobile accidents. I'm not sure what causes the US media to
      worry more about terrorists and violent crime than they do about
      death and injury from trucks and cars, but we are surely more likely
      to die in traffic than by a bullet or a bomb. As bad as 9/11 was, it
      didn't even represent one month of US traffic deaths. Since 9/11/01,
      there was one death from terrorism on US soil, I believe at LAX
      airport, but about 100,000 traffic fatalities. On any given day I
      can count more than a dozen programs on satellite TV about violent
      crime or terrorism, but rarely are there any about the carnage on the
      highways. The biggest threat to life and limb in US high-crime
      neighborhoods comes from motor vehicles.

      http://gulliver.trb.org/publications/trnews/trnews208_transit_security
      .pdf

      If the preceding URL is too long, try this one:

      http://tinyurl.com/yr7zb

      --less worried about boogeymen than enforcing traffic laws in
      Pearland, TX